Best tires for beach driving? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best tires for beach driving?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What really helps "sand" driving is a bigger contact patch.

If you don't need the ground clearance you air down your tires so they are "about" 25% shorter.. That will increase you contact patch so they won't dig in. That does mean no sharp turns at speed etc. AND you WILL NEED to air up before driving at speed on pavement.

You can get decent/good 12v compressors for < $100.

btw.. Welcome to ExplorerForum...

~Mark

The BEST tires for sand are smooth with paddles on them. They're mostly for dunes and deserts where the sand is plentiful and deep, but they'll make for fast going and fantastic traction on beach sand too. Of course, they're useless for most anything else, and all but undriveable on the street.

An aired-down mud tire would be ok, but aired-down all-terrains do just fine too.

1262929_1.jpg

BFG A/T's seem to be the best i have used, even better if they are about half tread.

You guys are awesome ~ thanks for your time & the info!

scan0001.jpg

Like Anime said an aired down Mud tire works well also.
Back in the 70s I had the above Land Cruiser with the old Armstrong Tru Track floatation mud tires and spent so many days on the beaches Hatters NC and the closer Assetegue Island of MD/VA surf fishing and even up to Montauk NY. Note the home built PVC rod holders.

One thing I learned. Don't park below the high tide mark. That's the day your starter goes bad. And as you probably know, never ride in the surf like some of these truck advertisements show. Even after you wash the salt water off, some remains in areas that can not drain.

Darn I miss that truck, from the Colorado Rockies to the beaches of the Atlantic, it never let me down. Well over 200.000 miles...half of that probably off-road, well a lot at least.

Back