Best Trans fluid?

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
1) Walmart Super Tech MerconV - Real Cheap, maybe a bit concerning($3.25), seems to be approved/licensed by Ford (even Motorcraft Mercon V is licensed from Ford). Overall excellent reviews.

2) Max-Life ATF - Universal, Good stuff, but technically a lower viscosity and not officially in the Mercon Range(It is similar Mercon LV, which is not really interchangeable with Mercon) . They claim though that the synthetic fluid makes up for it and will shear down above the minimum. All valvoline ATFs are "Recommended" for Ford, but not licensed.

3) Motorcraft Mercon V - Pricey, but competitive with many other brands if you find a good price online.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used Castrol brand Mercon V (it was on sale at Advance for $2 a quart). I think any quality brand would be pretty much equal to Motorcraft. I'd be a little skeptical of Walmart's Super Tech brand.

I used Castrol brand Mercon V (it was on sale at Advance for $2 a quart). I think any quality brand would be pretty much equal to Motorcraft. I'd be a little skeptical of Walmart's Super Tech brand.
Yeah, I used Castrol in the past, excellent product, but they are really jealous of it now and sell it for $6 and change at Advance with no discounts allowed. Their in house brand is almost the same price. I'll have to look out for that, maybe it was a regional thing. I think I may be able to get Motorcraft for less.

The WM brand is a bit scary but it has many positive reviews...

Search/shop Advance on-line, not their in-store prices. Buy on-line with discount codes and pick up at store. I have no idea what their current prices are.

go full synthetic.

Yeah, I used Castrol in the past, excellent product, but they are really jealous of it now and sell it for $6 and change at Advance with no discounts allowed. Their in house brand is almost the same price. I'll have to look out for that, maybe it was a regional thing. I think I may be able to get Motorcraft for less.

The WM brand is a bit scary but it has many positive reviews...

While the Castrol (or the Motorcraft) Mercon V isn't cheap at around $6.50 per quart, if your doing a pan drop and filter change you only need 4.5-5 quarts. I don't think the Walmart brand can be all that bad, it has to meet the same specifications in order to Mercon V. It may just not have the same additives as the more expensive brands. Me... I'd buy the Castrol or Motorcraft. The difference in price isn't worth it to me (I can just skip a lunch or two at Mc d's to make up the difference).

Yeah, go full synthetic. Mobil 1.

Back