• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Best tuner for Explorer Sport?

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
13 Expo Sport 88gt&90gt
I have a 2013 Sport, and I am curious what tuners everyone is using. There is a Diablosport T1000, and SCT X4 7015 for sale locally. Which is better? any help would be greatly appreciated. ty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

302nitrous

Reaction score
City, State
RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer sport
I have a 2013 Sport, and I am curious what tuners everyone is using. There is a Diablosport T1000, and SCT X4 7015 for sale locally. Which is better? any help would be greatly appreciated. ty
I run the sctx4 and absolutely love it, so many different parameters you can change to fit your driving style.

reserved50

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport Exploder
depends, the X4 can have the factory/canned tunes put out by SCT which seem to be very conservative, then there are tunes made by 3rd parties for the X4. The factory/canned tunes are free from SCT just by downloading them (use a wired connection, the wifi usually is miss or miss), or you can pay extra and have 3rd party tunes for an additional cost if you have already bought the device. There are a few other pieces of hardware out there that will reprogram your vehicle but it all depends on the tune in them and what you are looking for? Max power on 93+ octane? Many of the tuning devices can also be used as gauges to monitor your vehicle when plugged into the vehicles OBD/service port, some have better displays than others..

HamHands

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I just got the SCT 7015 (X4 Model) from SSI a week ago. I loaded it all up on Saturday. All I can say is dayummmm!

I was running my 15' Sport 50% of the time in "Sand Mode" for the throttle response time and for the more aggressive transmission shifting to stay/keep ahead of the "Slot-Car-Racing" style merging on I-285 "Perimeter" pace for my inner city commute to and from the suburbs. After I loaded the 93-Octane tune I'm happy to say: that running this SSI tune with 93' Quick-Trip gas I've yet to feel the need to put "Ellen" in Sand-Mode. I'm getting better throttle response in the Normal Drive mode than with the stock Sand Mode and the output result is significant more engine pull at quarter press gas peddle push even! I'm getting 1.1 to 1.3 MORE Miles Per Gallon for sure. I went from 6.1 to 6.2 in (0-60) time to 5.25 to 5.35 (0-60) time as well. Best yet, that stink of carbon monoxide smell after getting on her Wide Open Throttle when ran in stock is now 100% gone! The stock program/ "Tune" is way too rich of an fuel to oxygen ratio. It needed to be leaned out; of which the SSI 93 Octane Tune did... to a "T" so to speak! Put it this way... when I would do a 2 hour detail once a month I would finish the clean job up with wiping out the duel exhaust pipe tips because they were soot black, every time in 2 days time. I was shocked to notice that even though I've been running my Explorer Sport with this 93 Octane Tune and having a lot of WOT time playing... that the polished aluminum or chrome exhaust tips are 95% just as clean as they were Saturday when I wiped them clean. It's got noticeably more power, getting over a MPG in fuel consumption, the stink in WOT is 100% gone, and 95% of the nasty soot in the tailpipes is no longer present. Best yet, I've still got: (2 Custom Tunes Coming/Owed to me), from SSI... I'm going to ask for something 2 hairs more potent than the 93' Tune and a "Tow" tune just to have/run on file. So to answer your question: I went with the SSI tune with the "X4" Tuner and couldn't be happier...

Mlim_556

Reaction score
City, State
Northern MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
sct with custom tuning or livernois tune with their programmer

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
I had the SCT X4 and now the Livernois. Both very good but I believe Livernois has the most technical experience tuning EcoBoost motors.

Mlim_556

Reaction score
City, State
Northern MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
I had the SCT X4 and now the Livernois. Both very good but I believe Livernois has the most technical experience tuning EcoBoost motors.
Also IMO livernois has the best shifting. They might not have the most boost compared to others but that is not always a bad thing. Safe boost is better than too much boost for longevity. By no means am I saying they are slugs. There is definitely a night, and day difference from stock

Last edited:

drudis

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia (Metro-Detroit)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I'll add another "ditto"... They are local to Ford Engineers, and do a LOT of research in pre-production. Many of us local Ford guys go to Livernois for our tunes. My 2015 Mustang Ecoboost was their actual test mule when they dynoed to report their test results. VERY pleased with their work.
p.s. Again - Livernois _hardware_ looks like an old pager scrolling text, while others look like a smartphone... but once you load the program, I leave it. IMOHO, I dont care.

Forddealz

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Also IMO livernois has the best shifting. They might not have the most boost compared to others but that is not always a bad thing. Safe boost is better than too much boost for longevity. By no means am I saying they are slugs. There is definitely a night, and day difference from stock
I cant wait till the 2020 Explorer is released next year. With around 400HP with stock. I just wonder if they could tune that new inline engine closer to 500HP. Will see if Livernois can help Ford with that tune.

drudis

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia (Metro-Detroit)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport

Livernois

EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn Heights, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Sorry guys for the wait on response I have been out sick. But we actually no longer carry the mycalibrator for the ford vehicles. We upgraded to our new mycal touch. Biggest difference is a touch screen tuner that is extremely easy to use. You do have the ability to data log and chart. Now some vehicles even have ability to change tire size. Here is a link to the new tuner and it will be same tuner in either package or when you buy individually. Thanks again

Livernois Motorsports

MtnCar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
@Livernois do you have an upgrade/trade-in program to the MyCal Touch for folks that have the old MyCalibrator?

Gldaugh

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Sorry guys for the wait on response I have been out sick. But we actually no longer carry the mycalibrator for the ford vehicles. We upgraded to our new mycal touch. Biggest difference is a touch screen tuner that is extremely easy to use. You do have the ability to data log and chart. Now some vehicles even have ability to change tire size. Here is a link to the new tuner and it will be same tuner in either package or when you buy individually. Thanks again

Livernois Motorsports
I can attest to that! I just installed Livernois Tune with the new Touchscreen Tuner and it was almost too easy... :)

Reaction score
City, State
Port Washington, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Ordered and received my Livernois calibrator and sent in my tune request yesterday. My 3 Bar and K&N filter (not CAI) we’re also delivered. Can’t wait to see how this beast is transformed! In Seattle for a long weekend so hopefully when I return home I have the tune and will report back.

DMG632

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
In Seattle for a long weekend so hopefully when I return home I have the tune and will report back.
Enjoy your time in Seattle the weather wont be too bad...…. just ignore all the homeless people sleeping/camping on the sidewalk.

Magnum609

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer PIU TT
Hey everyone and thank you for all the great things you do for us. We have been doing the 3.5 ecoboost since the start. We have such dialed in tunes on these and they pick up so much power. Also if you add the 3 bar map sensor to read the extra boost for 75$ you get tremendous gains. Here is a link to our most popular package which gets a 70hp and 90ft/lbs to the ground. Also if anyone is coming to our track day tomorrow we will have fastest cylinder plaques. Thanks again and call with any questions mu name is Jake number is 313-561-5500 ext 126.
Livernois Motorsports
Jake,

Do you recommend this package for the interceptor eco boost Twin turbo PIU explorers also?

IanProduction

Reaction score
City, State
Burbank, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I am interested in either of the turners more for the better gas mileage. Whats the increase in Gas Mileage you all are seeing from these upgrades?

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
I am interested in either of the turners more for the better gas mileage. Whats the increase in Gas Mileage you all are seeing from these upgrades?
I'm running the Livernois 91 tune right now, I'm not really sure there is a mileage gain from the tune, I was looking for better performance. Livernois will do an economy tune if you want it.

IanProduction

Reaction score
City, State
Burbank, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Ok I will reach out to Livernois

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
Ok I will reach out to Livernois
Based on the feedback from this forum and talking to some of the Ford engineers Livernois seems to be the most experienced at tuning EcoBoost engines. Not to say others aren't good at what they do, just that Livernois has the most experience being so close to Ford in Dearborn.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Best gauge setup for LMS tuner Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
J Best looking tuner? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
P Best LEDs for my Aries Bull Bar? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
R Best suggestions to improve performance Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
Rick List of Useful Threads Modified 5th Gen Forum's Best Threads Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
B Best bang for the buck 5k-6k D3S bulb Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
C Best Cold Air Intake? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 9
D Best place for 20 inch OEM wheel Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
K Which drop in air filter is best for the Explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 38
Watcher58 SCT tuner Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
E Livernois tuner/intake/3bar MAP for sale Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 23
E ISO Livernois tuner 2013 Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
L Any performance/tuner folks in the northern California area? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
S Tuning Options for SCT iTSX Tuner? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
8 ExSport Tuner longevity reviews Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
J How many 2016 Sports run the Livernois Tuner? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 102
F Tablet For SCT Tuner?? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
E Lund tuner, can you guys get ECU strategy code? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 8
C Livernois tuner installed! Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 7
C Well I finally did it... ordered the Livernois Tuner Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 7
J What can I do with it now? (Lund Racing Tuner) Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 42
E Livernois tuner Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
C Introducing the Livernois Motorsports Split Personality Tuner (SPT) Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 15
H Sirius Tuner swap Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
C 2019 Explorer Sport Speaker Install/Discussion Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
J 2014 Explorer Audio Modification. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
D 2016 explorer leveling kit Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
are6rider 2015 Ford Explorer Stock Speaker Upgrade - Sony System Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 20
L 18 mustang wheels on 17 explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
J Hide wooden trim in explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
J Tow/Haul Mode 2011 Explorer without tow package Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
G Installation of Power running boards on my ford explorer 2015 XLT Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
TJ@Steeda Steeda New Product Release: Steeda F-150/Explorer Pro-Flow Blow-Off Valve Adapter (2011-2019) Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
C Explorer sport 9006/9012 upgrade Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
J Issues with FORScan in 2018 Explorer Sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 21
TJ@Steeda Now Available: Steeda Explorer Adjustable Toe Links Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 10
M Headlight/Fog light upgrade for 2015 Explorer Sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 24
M 2018 Explorer Speaker Install Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 37
9 2016 Explorer Sport Downpipes or Borla Catback Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
E 2019 Explorer XLT Audio Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
expoman55 2019 and 2020 Explorer wheel pattern & tire size. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
J Upgrades for 2018 Explorer XLT Base? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
J How to "Sportify"/black out my non sport explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
D New Explorer owner ready to modify Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
G 2015 ford explorer XLT Door Unlock Wire Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
B Any more upgrades to a 14 NA Explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
F 2019 Explorer Sport thermostat change Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
Z Setina PB 400 Push Bar installation help 2012 Explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
C Any of the PIU front bumper components fit base Explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
S Need Help - Explorer Not Shifting Up When Floored - Bigger Tires 295 45 20 and SCT Tune Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 5