Best Wax for the Buck. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Wax for the Buck.

Well, I have never bought or used wax on my vehicle (aside from the liquid wax stuff at the coin wash) so I don't know anything about wax. Anyways what is a good wax for a White vehicle?

Please note: I am looking for something to buy at Wal-Mart or Autozone. This means that I don't want anyone saying Zaino or any other mail order wax.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like anything made by Meguires or Mother's. Meguires Gold Class is really good and makes your paint look like a mirror. I used it on my windows after I had them tinted and they were so reflective you could see nose hairs!;)

I second the Meguire's. I use the three step system and am very impressed.

ok. so i get a meguire's three step and what do i need to get to apply it with. And how do I apply it. 3 steps? What does it cost?

I paid around 25 bucks I think.

1.Paint Cleaner
2.Polish
3.Wax

Just use one of those little wax applicators, but make sure to use a separate one for all three. It helps to label the back of them with a marker or something.

Hmmm 25 sounds a bit steep. Maybe i will pick up a cheaper meguires. Like just wax and some sort of applicator or towel or something

Eagle One Wet Wax and Polish. I have used it several times on my Ranger and love the stuff. I looks really good afterwards and lasts a while too. You can definately see a difference over time too, if you keep it waxed it justs gets easier and easier to wash.

There's a cheaper Zymol wax that costs about $7. Great stuff.

Well I decided to buy Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (Clear Coat Safe) Now my next question is how do I wax it? I have TerryCloth towels but whats the proper motion and how much wax and anything else i need to know?

Make ABSOLUTELY sure your Exp is ABSOLUTELY clean. If not, even the smallest dirt can scratch the surface. I use a piece of a terrycloth towel to apply the wax, I have always (20 yrs) applied the wax in a circular motion with no problems. But I have recently read that it is better to apply the wax in a straight motion to lessen the possibility of leaving any scratches. If it is a dark color paint, circular scratches will show up really bad in the sun. Kinda like a bad buff job. I usu. like applying the wax when it is overcast. Depending on the wax, not sure if it needs to be wiped off immediatly or allowed to dry, but use another CLEAN terrycloth towel to remove the wax. Turn the towel frequently so as not to cause any buildup of wax on the towel. If you start to run out of towel from the buildup, grab another. Hope this helps.

Like LStoudenmire said, make sure you wash it first! To wax, use a foam applicator and use a front to back motion on the horizontal surfaces and an up and down motion on the vertical surfaces. Then, once it's dry, use your towels to remove the wax.

peace

Mike

Actually I had the NuFinish polish as a 'base' and had it topped off with Meguiars Gold Class (paste) and I was very very impressed. I just put on some of the Eagle 1 WET polish and wax and it is about equal to the Gold Class, IMO. I am going to go and get some Meguiars #26 and #20 and start using it and Gold Clas and Eagle 1 on other peoples cars :p

Here is a pic or two of the Gold Class on top of NuFinish:

fe0b4d4b.jpg

fe0b4d71.jpg

Cant wait to try that #26! :cool:

Back