Best way to add keyless remote entry to my 2019 PIU? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best way to add keyless remote entry to my 2019 PIU?

Studly

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Police Interceptor
I've read threads in this forum where people gave recommendations for keyless remote lock system and a remote starter, but what is the best option if I just want keyless remote locks and entry without the remote starter? Is the best option to go through Ford, and if so, anyone know how much that typically costs? Or will an aftermarket system work and save me money?

I used VXDiag with my 2017 to get the OEM Keyfob working. It's a bit of a suspicious program, so I used a virtual machine on my laptop to use it, but you get access to IDS so you can do all the programming. It needs a $120 device plus the keyfob which I think was about $20. This is probably the cheapest way to get the keyfob working unless you know someone who has IDS access.

This is the thread that I found out about VXDiag: PIU Engine Idle install success
But seriously use it cautiously if you're going to use it.

Getting it programmed at Ford is hit on miss. I tried to have them program my keyfob before I found the device. They were going to charge about $180 with the keyfob I included. They weren't able to figure it out, so ended up not charging me. Rates vary for what Ford charges, best answer is to call your local Ford and ask.

I also tried the 12voltsolutions because I wanted remote start aswell at the time. I personally did not like the product, had many issues, and eventually ended up returning it. Personally I prefer OEM solutions anyway.

I used VXDiag with my 2017 to get the OEM Keyfob working. It's a bit of a suspicious program, so I used a virtual machine on my laptop to use it, but you get access to IDS so you can do all the programming. It needs a $120 device plus the keyfob which I think was about $20. This is probably the cheapest way to get the keyfob working unless you know someone who has IDS access.

This is the thread that I found out about VXDiag: PIU Engine Idle install success
But seriously use it cautiously if you're going to use it.

Getting it programmed at Ford is hit on miss. I tried to have them program my keyfob before I found the device. They were going to charge about $180 with the keyfob I included. They weren't able to figure it out, so ended up not charging me. Rates vary for what Ford charges, best answer is to call your local Ford and ask.

I also tried the 12voltsolutions because I wanted remote start aswell at the time. I personally did not like the product, had many issues, and eventually ended up returning it. Personally I prefer OEM solutions anyway.
Thanks for the great info! Will check into it.

Back