Best way to clean grey plastic trim? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best way to clean grey plastic trim?

Velvis

Reaction score
City, State
Medfield, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
I just picked up a 2001 Explorer Sport Black with the Grey plastic trim.

Whats the best way to clean the trim pieces?

A search here brought up a lot of people painting it black, but I think I would like to leave them the same color but just clean it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When i had mine gray i found the way best to clean them for me was with some rust o leum bug and tar remover on them with one of those yellow and green sponges using the green side. Then to make em darker i would just spray on some armor all tire foam and wipe it through.

duplicolor gray plastic bumper paint.

edit: once that gray plastic fades and gets chalky, there's not much you can do with it. protectants make it look better, but they just wash off. i've wondered whether any of the products you see advertised on TV really work. i'm very skeptical. on the other hand, the bumper paint looks great and is very durable.

303 Aerospace Protectant works. Armor-All damages plastic.

I'd use paint then work on keeping that good.

Third vote from me for the 303 Aerospace Protectant. Expensive, but it does not take alot for results. I have had a bottle for years, and I think it is only half gone.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for, as in cleaning. Try Simple Green?

duplicolor gray plastic bumper paint.

edit: once that gray plastic fades and gets chalky, there's not much you can do with it. protectants make it look better, but they just wash off. i've wondered whether any of the products you see advertised on TV really work. i'm very skeptical. on the other hand, the bumper paint looks great and is very durable.

Paint is probably the best option. Once plastic is UV damaged, it's done. UV damage is usually quite deep, and the original paint of plating is gone. I think most all plastic treatment products are snake oil.

The plastic isnt too faded I dont think. Just dirty. I will see what comes off with soap and water tomorrow.

Thank you.

Mr Clean Magic Eraser. and Mr Clean upholstery cleaner protectant. Works frikin awesome!!!

Back