• Register Today It's free!

Best way to debadge?

dtholmanmax

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
I know you can do it with fishing line or something similar - is that how you guys have done it on your EX? Then just use goo-gone to get the sticky off? Just curious as this is a very simple mod I may want to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i havent done it yet but i've read that fishing line behind the badge to take the badge off, then goo gone to get rid of the asdhesive.

fishing line and goo-gone (or alike)... Done it on my X and a few other vehicles.

streetfire.net then search videos: debadgeing
it is some guys debadging a wrx, very good demonstration and 'technique'

streetfire.net then search videos: debadgeing
it is some guys debadging a wrx, very good demonstration and 'technique'

If I could find the link I would post it but I can't. Anyway I will try to sum it up. Use some fishing line, probably about 10-12lb line. 8lb was too thin when I debadged my friends car. Once the badge is gone use a hairdryer and heat up the area and using a finger and try to ball up the residue. Then use goo gone, the guys in the video used a bug and tar remover. Then wax the area and you are done.

I used a heat gun to peel them off, then used goo gone to get the remaining off. Worked perfectly for me. Just be careful with the heat guns!

heat up the emblem with a blow dryer (it will soften the sticky stuff) and then run fishing line behind. then take a rag and carb cleaner and spray on the rag (not the car). if you don't put too much carb cleaner on at one time and take your time it wont mess up the clear coat... i've done it plenty of times........

when i was still detailing we used the pressure washer to feel off the badge itself, and then a glue remover to remove the goo. if you guys got GooBgone down south that stuff works great and does no damage to the paint

are there little "guide holes" on the back of the badges on an '04 eddie bauer? i want to take mine off but i dont want to be stuck woth little holes all around my truck. please let me know.

I just did this to my 2000 XLT. Never underestimate the power of a sunny day. All I used was the draw string from a pair of shorts in my truck and the good ol' sun to take mine off. I didn't have any guide holes, but that doesn't mean that you won't. Did anyone else have an issue with the paint around where the emblems used to be having a white-ish tint to them? I don't know if it's permanent or I just need to try to clean it with something other than Goo-Gone...but...it's not happy. I have the same white-ish tint around where the adhesive was for the side moulding too. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

~Greg

Blow dryer is better option than the heat gun, it will heat the emblems but wont damage anything, then just take some fishing line and take then out, then any rubbing compund will do the trick.

this is good to know....now i can finally get rid of that stupid Dealer badge on my mounty

I was just worried about finding holes behind the badge on my 16 Explorer. How do I find out for sure?

Just Blow Dryer, fishing line and WD40 will do the trick.

^ This. Pulled off a number of badges on some motorcycles I've owned this way. No problemo.

Back