Best way to drain a gas tank

wwhitby

Reaction score
City, State
Prattville, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
All,

I'm working on getting our 2002 Explorer XLT running for my son to use. Its been sitting for a while, so I know the gas has gone bad. My first task was to drain the gas tank. Its about 3/4 full of bad gasoline.

I found out about the anti-siphon screen that Ford put in the filler hose, so I figured that I would remove the filler hose at the tank, then put the hose to the hand pump in through the filler hose. I inserted the hose in through the filler neck on the tank and had bad gasoline rushing out at me. I guess I made it past the check valve. Fortunately, the Explorer is parked outside and not in the garage! I'm not sure how much I lost, but its not completely drained. So that way isn't going to work.

I really don't want to cut an access hole through the body, so is there another method I can use to drain all that bad gasoline out of the tank?

Thanks,

Whit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it was me, I'd pull the fuel filter and jumper the power at the fuel pump relay to let the fuel pump do the work.

that is exactly how we empty fuel tanks on these trucks
pull fuel filter or fuel feed line from engine, run a hose from there into your gas can, then jumper the relay OR run battery power (jumper box or long cables) back to the fuel pump power connector on the frame rail ahead of the tank

Thanks y'all! I'll give that a try.

Pull the hose from the filler tube to the tank nipple.

It's then just a standard siphon. I don't understand making it harder than that?

I don't understand making it harder than that?

No problem! many ways to skin a cat
This is not harder, for many of us who drain these tanks on a regular (I crush trucks alot) this is the easy way
Takes about 5 minutes because I already have a piece of hose that fits the fuel feed line perfectly and reaches my fuel can
I also have a jumper box for easy power AND I have a wiring pigtail that I cut from crush trucks (all different years) so I can literally just plug into the stock connector

When I read "I'm working on getting our 2002 Explorer XLT running for my son to use" I'm thinking fluid changes and a new fuel filter.

smart!! So why not take the filter out and use that spot to pump the fuel
Josh P always thinking
We learn by doing

You don't need to drain 100% of it out as long as you dilute it with a tank full of fresh gas. If it's a FlexFuel model a full tank of E85 would be even better for cleaning everything out and absorbing any moisture.

I just spent a 90 minutes outside fighting with the Explorer. I found that I don't have any of the male special fittings to attach to the fuel line at the fuel filter or the fuel rail so I wasn't able to use the fuel pump to pump out the fuel. I even tried removing the fuel filler to see if there was a way to bypass the screen, but no luck.

Anyone got any other ideas? So far the only thing that has worked was opening the checkvalve on the tank and letting the fuel come out that way. :rolleyes:

Pull the hose from the filler tube to the tank nipple.

It's then just a standard siphon. I don't understand making it harder than that?

I actually tried that first, and had fuel shooting out of the tank back at me. I lost 5 gallons that way. But so far, that's the only way that I've had any luck......

Cut a chunk of 5/8 garden hose or the like, it'll wedge on tightly to the fuel coupling under hood , feeding fuel rails.

Other end into gas can. Jump relay, don't overfill gas can!

Don't over worry fuel spray or loose fittings, with the hose end open you will not build any fuel pressure to speak of.

I ended up getting a large rectangular drain pan, removed the filler hose at the tank, and then drained the gas by opening the check valve. I got all but about 3 gallons out of it. I'll dilute it with fresh gasoline, so it won't be a problem.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I have a simple length of like 3/8 or 1/2 fuel line, it just slips over the male fitting on the fuel line, there is no need to clamp or lock it on because with the hose ending into a gas can there is no real pressure build up

glad you got it sorted!
several ways to skin a cat

Back