Best way to lower my explorer

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
I want to lower my explorer, because i like the look, and feel of a lowered car. I do not wish to lift it because I've all ready flipped one lifted car, and dont' wish to chance it again.

I own a :
1993 Ford Explorer
XLT
2wd
4-door

I've been reading about blocks, springs, and all the such, but I can not find anywhere that sells a kit specifically for the 1993 model. Explorer Express sells parts, but not the kit.

What do i need to lower my explorer, a link to a kit would be awesome, but what parts do i need to lower my explorer about 3 inches or so, and how to do it SAFELY!!!

-josh

berkinstocks87@yahoo.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to lower my explorer, because i like the look, and feel of a lowered car. I do not wish to lift it because I've all ready flipped one lifted car, and dont' wish to chance it again.

I own a :
1993 Ford Explorer
XLT
2wd
4-door

I've been reading about blocks, springs, and all the such, but I can not find anywhere that sells a kit specifically for the 1993 model. Explorer Express sells parts, but not the kit.

What do i need to lower my explorer, a link to a kit would be awesome, but what parts do i need to lower my explorer about 3 inches or so, and how to do it SAFELY!!!

-josh

berkinstocks87@yahoo.com

The rear lift can be done pretty simple with blocks. you just place them between the axle and the leaf pack and replace the u-bolts. I've done lift blocks on my old Yukon in 45 minutes. That's pretty straight forward. I think you can buy aluminum lift blocks for $30 at a pep boys, autozone etc with new u-bolts.

For the front you have a couple options that wouldn't be too spendy as well.

Jesse James on Moster Garage lowered their Explorer by heating up the coils and jumping on the hood. I'm not sure who makes a lowering spring or you could likely cut a bit off a stock coil spring and place it back in there with a little work. I'd be afraid of alaignment but it could be done.

Attachments

• monster-garage-24.jpg
    monster-garage-24.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,094

For some reason I remember eibach making front lowering springs for the 1st gen X. Not sure if they still make them though. If you find a set of springs, then just use a set of lowering blocks in the rear and you are good to go. Of course an alignment will be needed.

Don't heat the springs as this will make them weak. You might try Summit Racing & see if they have lowering spindles. This would be the best way to do it.

So I need blocks for the rear, and either springs or lowering spindles for the front?

Yes.

The front you can either get springs or drop beams. I think the drop beams and new shocks is the best way to go. It will keep the stock ride that way.

Summit link to beams

I found kits for the 82 - 88, and the 89 - 97 rangers, wouldn't those work? wouldn't the 89 - 97 Ranger kit be what i wanted, because the early rangers in that generation has the same suspension as the 1st Generation Explorers?

well first a couple of words to the wise...

they don't make lowering spindles for Explorers
Eibach hasn't made those lowering springs for like 5 years now
unless you're a hillbilly you don't ever want to cut or heat up your springs as a method of lowering your vehicle. it's unsafe and can yield unexpected and dangerous results.

now then...

you can lower your Explorer 3 inches in front and 3 inches in the rear using drop i-beams in front and either lowering leaf springs in the rear or lowering blocks. lowered leafs are better but lowering blocks are cheaper. you're going to want to get lowered shocks as well front and rear. AIM Industries/ChassisTech makes the i-beams and leafs. the shocks you'll want to get elsewhere as their shocks are garbage. get Doetsch Tech shocks they are the best lowered shock on the market. i'm linking you below.

i-beams http://www.airbagit-store.com/produ...L=/search.asp?search=Explorer&search=Explorer

leaf springs http://www.airbagit-store.com/produ...L=/search.asp?search=Explorer&search=Explorer

front shocks http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DOE-M4039G&N=700+115&autoview=sku

the 89-97 Ranger beams and the 91-94 beams are not exactly the same. that's why AIM/ChassisTech makes one set for Rangers and one set for Explorers.

Awesome! They make leaf springs for the rear of 02-06. I want to see those on there.

lol. I sure hope they only mean sports and tracs. Otherwise, it would be sweet to see a 02+ 4 door with a solid axle rear.

Now, i almost feel stupid asking this, i know blocks in the rear add more space, hence lowering it.

i know the spring in the front lower it, because they aren't as tall.

i just don't understand the i-beams, dream beams, and all of that, i talked to my buddy stan, and he tried explaining it, but i just don't get it. anybody know of a simple way to explain it?

thanks for all your help guys, i'll definitely post pics when i'm done, hopefully early january/late december

They build the drop into the beam. I took a drop beam and messed with it in photoshop, just to show you the difference.

In the top one you can see it raises the mounting point of the spindle 3" higher so your tire will be 3" higher hence 3" drop of the car. make sense?

Attachments

• DropBeams.jpg
    DropBeams.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,856

The I-baem uses the same principle as a drop spindle. The I-beam will raise the heighth of the stock spindle thus lowering your front end.

This is crude but it explains it

Stock I-beam -----------<I

..................................../----<I
lowering I-beam ---------/

so, using the beams in the front, which would give me 3" of drop, would i have to replace the springs?

and i can use blocks in the back correct?

i think i understand the principle, the beams changes where the spindle sits, and the wheel is connected to the spindle, so it changes where the wheel sits, not by changing ride height by springs, but literally pulling the tires up, thus lowering it. if i put this all together correctly, i don't need to replace my springs?

and for the back, i can use aluminum blocks, like mentioned above, and add new shocks in the back.

make sense to anyone? i think i understand, i just have to find the different parst, and kinda build my own kit. with drop beams, blocks, and shocks, that's it right?

yeah you got it. and no you don't want or need to replace the springs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

awesome, thanks for everyone's help, i'll keep this post in mind, and post some pics as i go along with it.

again, thank you for everyone's help, thank goodness for this forum, or i'd be talking to bubba next door about it.

Thank You,

-Josh

i'm searching now for sites that have the different parts, or would my local parts store have it?, what's the best brand, and what kind of shocks should i go with? and does anybody know of a site that has everything i need?

Back