Best way to relieve fuel line pressure? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best way to relieve fuel line pressure?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I’m going to attempt to change the fuel filter on my 2000 OHV and was wondering how to depressurize the fuel line. I’ve read that unplugging the inertia switch and then cranking the engine until the fuel runs out, is the best way. I’ve also read that removing the fuel pump fuse and then cranking the engine is good too. I helped change the filter on my friends 04 ST and we tried the inertia switch method, but still got sprayed with gas. I don’t mind if some gas drips after I release the quick connects, but I’m trying to avoid getting sprayed with gas again :D Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pull the fuel pump relay with the engine running. you won't get sprayed, but you will get wet with gasoline. have a container ready to catch the fuel, which will stop shortly. I once got it in my ear. don't do that, it hurt like hell for 10 mins.

I've never depressurized a fuel system, and I've never been sprayed with gas. Maybe the reason is because I usually do my explorer maintenance on Saturday mornings, which means that it hasn't been operated in 24 hours. I'd just wait a few hours after turning off the truck before starting the fuel filter replacement.

5/16" for the filter. Warning: If you've done one before it can drive you crazy. Relieving the pressure does help. There are many threads on changing the filter. If you haven't already read them I suggest you do. The secret is technique and finesse, not force.

I've never depressurized a fuel system, and I've never been sprayed with gas. Maybe the reason is because I usually do my explorer maintenance on Saturday mornings, which means that it hasn't been operated in 24 hours. I'd just wait a few hours after turning off the truck before starting the fuel filter replacement.
The system should maintain fuel pressure a lot longer than 24 hours. It's always a good idea to remove the relay and crank the engine to guarantee that everything is depressurized.

The system should maintain fuel pressure a lot longer than 24 hours. It's always a good idea to remove the relay and crank the engine to guarantee that everything is depressurized.

True, the system will hold pressure, I don't know if it hold fuel pressure for 24 hours, but I know it will hold it for several hours. The reason for relieving it is not only not to get sprayed, but also to allow the fuel lines to be pushed in away from the clips/retainers, without being able to do so getting the lines off w/out damage is nearly impossible. The first one I ever did took me hours. Now I can change one in minutes. I prefer the metal tools over the plastic, technique is most important. Push the line into the filter, push the tool into the steel retainer ring and pull out the line. Sounds easier than it is to do.

True, the system will hold pressure, I don't know if it hold fuel pressure for 24 hours, but I know it will hold it for several hours. The reason for relieving it is not only not to get sprayed, but also to allow the fuel lines to be pushed in away from the clips/retainers, without being able to do so getting the lines off w/out damage is nearly impossible. The first one I ever did took me hours. Now I can change one in minutes. I prefer the metal tools over the plastic, technique is most important. Push the line into the filter, push the tool into the steel retainer ring and pull out the line. Sounds easier than it is to do.

Any tool in particular that you’d recommend?

Any tool in particular that you’d recommend?

The set that I have I got at AutoZone. They're similar to what you have but made out of aluminum and anodized in different colors (OEM brand around $20). I leave the fuel filter in it's holder and push the tool and fuel line in while levering behind the tool with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Tip: Flush out around the retainer with WD40 before trying to disconnect, spin the filter around and make sure the fuel line will push into the filter a tiny bit before using the tool.

Late reply, but where is this valve on the ohv? And can I depress it like a tire valve?

Right next to his pinky finger in this picture. Yes, it is like a tire valve. A cheap dial type air pressure gauge can be used in a pinch to check pressure. Like a tire though it must be held tight against the valve or it will leak.

Fuel_Rail_01b.jpg

Back