Best way to remove stripped cylinder head bolt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best way to remove stripped cylinder head bolt?

Daisywheels

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT XP SOHC V6
I have the SOHC motor where 6/8 of the main torx bolts are inside the head. I've been reading about how people suggest just cutting off the head off the bolt, but I think they were talking about the OHV motor.

I stripped the torx head of the bolt on on the passenger side - second main bolt from the firewall. I don't see how that can be cut? Even if I did manage to cut it, I don't think there is enough clearance to pull the head off the remaining stud.

The other 7 broke loose, just have this one bolt to deal with this. I did try torquing down the others again to relieve pressure on the bolt - no go.

Looking for suggestions on how to get this sucker out of the SOHC. HELP. Thanks! -DW

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

C4?

Did you try heating it?

MT

The head of the Torx bolt is stripped. Heat won't help I'm afraid. -DW

External EZ out.

60.jpg

These are the bomb for troubles like yours.

External EZ out.

60.jpg

Hmmm. External or internal, that is the question. I wonder if the external easy out can grip the round washer at the bottom of the head bolt? Seems that's the only place it would go, plus all that torque I need. Has anybody had any experience with these:

Attachments

• lisle.jpg
    lisle.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 518

The problem with the internal type in your picture is that the flutes will bottom out in whats left of the old torx hole before they grab anything. Best to try the external type.

Is the inside of the problem torx bolt totally gone? If not you may be able to get an allen socket of a slightly larger size put the shortest extension on it you can use and drive it into the old torx bolt recess with a ball peen hammer.

Since the allen is a little bigger it may grab. When you try to get it out, don't jerk on it use slow steady increasing pressure plus a little heat if you can. Watch the heat because it's an aluminum head.

The problem with the internal type in your picture is that the flutes will bottom out in whats left of the old torx hole before they grab anything. Best to try the external type.

Is the inside of the problem torx bolt totally gone? If not you may be able to get an allen socket of a slightly larger size put the shortest extension on it you can use and drive it into the old torx bolt recess with a ball peen hammer.

Since the allen is a little bigger it may grab. When you try to get it out, don't jerk on it use slow steady increasing pressure plus a little heat if you can. Watch the heat because it's an aluminum head.

Thanks for the info. The inside of the torx bolt still has "something" left, it still grabs a bit with the torx socket, but not much. I'll try to find an allen socket - thanks for the suggestion.

I've never used an external bolt extractor on something that is COMPLETELY ROUND, so that was my only hesitation. Looks like a 9/16 will be the size, but i'll try the allen wrench/socket first. Thanks! -DW

NP

That's why we are here.

External EZ out - Yup, they are the bomb! That was almost too easy. Thanks everyone for saving me money and more headaches. -DW

That engine has really been sent to try you, hasn't it?

Masters was adverting some sort of socket that works on anything, I couldn't stop to look at it as I was in a hurry.

In a pinch also if you don't have an easy out metric is the life saver... can most of the time get one in a hex bolt. also... working on a cat paver, the bolts were worn right off...heated it up red hot and pounded a 6 point socket on there to get it to pull it off with an impact...

That engine has really been sent to try you, hasn't it?

Masters was adverting some sort of socket that works on anything, I couldn't stop to look at it as I was in a hurry.

That's an understatement! :) Once I pulled the head, found a hole in the piston in cyl 3. Happy happy joy joy. :mad: Pics if interested are in my thread "Before I pull the head...."

-DW

That's an understatement! :) Once I pulled the head, found a hole in the piston in cyl 3. Happy happy joy joy. :mad: Pics if interested are in my thread "Before I pull the head...."

-DW

I saw that.

You'll just have to buy another engine and stick the new timing stuff in while the engine is out.

I saw that.

You'll just have to buy another engine and stick the new timing stuff in while the engine is out.

I would put the 4.6 V8 in it if it would fit. Research says not on my truck! I can't see spending ANY money on such a poorly engineered motor. I'm not the only one thoroughly frustrated with the engineering of this motor. I want to pull the motor (because I never have before, and what harm can I do?), and blow it up or set it on fire. Then the new owner has room for a new motor :D

External EZ out.

60.jpg

I AGREE 100%

This works like a DREAM! Get the 11/16" size, since the rounded bold head is slightly larger than this. Irwin 53912 11/16" bolt extractor, NAPA carries them as 5 unit set #394002, which is where I got mine.
To use, put an extension on it, set it straight up over the bolt and tap it in place using a hammer, just to line it up. Remove the extension and then drive it on further with just the hammer. It does not need to go all the way on to the shoulder of the bolt, just about half way. Put the extension back on and remove the bolt with a 3' breaker bar and it will come right out! The extractor will dig in deeper as it is turned so as NOT to slip. To remove the extractor from the damaged bolt, just put the bolt in a vise and knock the extractor off with a hammer. This is the fastest and best way to do the job by far!!

I am glad you got that bolt out
Sorry you found a hole in your piston
The sohc engine is a PITA with all of its timing chains and guides
However I do believe they are a good engine, I mean there are so many rangers and explorers in the world running around with the SOHC 4.0 in them getting well over 150K miles even with marginal maintenance. That to me deserves some respect. Not as much respect as the pushrods....but still some respect
The key to the SOHC is to keep the oil clean and keep it synthetic. People who get 250K+ miles from these engines change their oil every 3-7000 miles.

Back