• Register Today It's free!

Best way to tow?

watt9386

Reaction score
City, State
Croydon, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt & 97 sport
Either a trans line or seal went while I was on the turnpike. Made it into Harrisburg and bought atf to see if it could make it. It won't. So I'm waiting on my ride and need to tow this tomorrow with a dolly from u haul. How should I go about doing that? Disconnect the rear drive shaft and tow the front wheels?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Forum Runner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep - disconnect the rear driveshaft and tow with the front wheels.

Now I just have to find a tow dolly -.-

If you have a good size tow vehicle,trailer it. A trailer will be easier to find perhaps.:D

safn1949 said:
If you have a good size tow vehicle,trailer it. A trailer will be easier to find perhaps.:D

Biggest we have is a trailblazer

Alright. It wasn't a line. The frigging thing wasn't leaking a drop when I got there. Does anyone know if there's a pressure relief valve in the transmission that can cause it to burp itself? I lost about 2 quarts if fluid.

It probably overheated then,if so the fluid would have barfed out the dipstick tube and be all over that area.:D

safn1949 said:
It probably overheated then,if so the fluid would have barfed out the dipstick tube and be all over that area.:D

It wasn't there. Is there an overflow tube it could have come out of?

Yes there is an overflow tube that allows for fluid to come out in the event of overheating. Its supposed to save the tranny but quite sure how other than scaring the crap out of the owner and make him stop driving. After you get it home I would strongly suggest a fluid and filter change. Good luck

runningred92 said:
Yes there is an overflow tube that allows for fluid to come out in the event of overheating. Its supposed to save the tranny but quite sure how other than scaring the crap out of the owner and make him stop driving. After you get it home I would strongly suggest a fluid and filter change. Good luck

That's exactly what happened. Thank you so much. Driving her home tomorrow

I assume then it would come out the vent tube on the top of the tranny,I'll tell you now that if it got that hot some damage was done.Flush it and hope for the best,my tranny job cost $2200....ouch.:eek:

safn1949 said:
I assume then it would come out the vent tube on the top of the tranny,I'll tell you now that if it got that hot some damage was done.Flush it and hope for the best,my tranny job cost $2200....ouch.:eek:

I drove it today and it shifted fine. It didn't feel like there was any damage done.

The truck made it home fine. Driving it today too.

I am glad the truck is running. But. I can not stress the point of pulling the transmission pan off and swapping the filter and flushing the fluid. A few dollars and less than an hour of your time now could save you big time down the road. You never know what damage was done if you dont look until its too late. Hopefully there is nothing wrong but better safe than sorry. Good Luck!

runningred92 said:
I am glad the truck is running. But. I can not stress the point of pulling the transmission pan off and swapping the filter and flushing the fluid. A few dollars and less than an hour of your time now could save you big time down the road. You never know what damage was done if you dont look until its too late. Hopefully there is nothing wrong but better safe than sorry. Good Luck!

Okay. I'm going to do that within the next week. But I talked to a few trans shops around me and they said it could have been too full on atf and just heated up and went out the overflow tube. Does this sound realistic? It didn't give any trouble or loose any fluid today at all.

The only way it had too much ATF in it is you added it recently like just before you drove it. Usually when its a case of too much ATF it does come out of the fill tube in the engine bay near the firewall not the vent/overflow tube on the tranny. So a few things I dont think you said were you driving under normal conditions or off road in 4-wheel or a lot of stop and go with lots of fast acceleration? In other words were you driving like you normally do? Also had you recently added fluid either the night before or that morning or even right before you drove? Its your call on weather you change the fluid and filter or not but like I said better safe than sorry. $20 and less than an hour of time or a couple grand and a week or more without a truck.Also it may be shifting fine now and may never have issues again. If it were me I would have already pulled the pan drained as much fluid as possible and installed a new filter and new fluid. Can't stress enough better safe than sorry. Sorry if I am harping or sounding like a broken record I would just hate for you or anyone to have to do expensive repairs when they can be averted by proper maintenance. If nothing else you are driving on really burnt fluid that even if there is enough in it it has lost most if not all of its effectiveness.

runningred92 said:
The only way it had too much ATF in it is you added it recently like just before you drove it. Usually when its a case of too much ATF it does come out of the fill tube in the engine bay near the firewall not the vent/overflow tube on the tranny. So a few things I dont think you said were you driving under normal conditions or off road in 4-wheel or a lot of stop and go with lots of fast acceleration? In other words were you driving like you normally do? Also had you recently added fluid either the night before or that morning or even right before you drove? Its your call on weather you change the fluid and filter or not but like I said better safe than sorry. $20 and less than an hour of time or a couple grand and a week or more without a truck.Also it may be shifting fine now and may never have issues again. If it were me I would have already pulled the pan drained as much fluid as possible and installed a new filter and new fluid. Can't stress enough better safe than sorry. Sorry if I am harping or sounding like a broken record I would just hate for you or anyone to have to do expensive repairs when they can be averted by proper maintenance. If nothing else you are driving on really burnt fluid that even if there is enough in it it has lost most if not all of its effectiveness.

It was the first time it was driven in months. I added trains fluid.....maybe a week before? The fluid now is full and bright red. I will do the flush and filter after prom (Sunday at the latest.) And my dad was the one driving. We needed to pass so he went all out, and that's when it acted up.

Back