"Best Whoops Picture Contest".....and the Winner is..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Best Whoops Picture Contest".....and the Winner is.....

Start digging through those old pics! The First Annual "Best Whoops Picture Contest" is here!
The contest will begin today and will end Jan 5, 2001.
------------------------------------------------------------
The Rules:
1) Must be an Explorer, Navajo, Ranger or alike

2) The pic must be your vehicle, supply a brief description of how you got into the predicament.

3) One entry per member, however if you have different angles of the same pic that is fine.

4) Moderators are excluded from the contest, and will be the judges, but invited to submit their pics. In the event of a tie, the Elite Explorers vote for the tie-breaker.

The Prize:
(1) Serious Explorations Video(Donated by Rick H.)

If you are unsure on how to post a pic send me an email or just send over your pic and I will do it for you. Or you can go to the "New Members Forum" for a brief explanation on how to do it.
rod@explorerforum.com

Thanks and can't wait to see everyone's WHOOPS!

[Edited by Sinjin on 12-20-2000 at 06:19 AM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's my pick to start it off, of course it cannot be used for the contest.

opps.gif

We got to camp up on this nice rock formation, ate then headed out for some wheeling. It was a lot of fun, rock crawling, water crossing, etc. All went well until we got to the biggest water crossing. Some Jeeps we knew went first and Rod was next. He got almost there and he got stuck, in the water, and the water was up to the windows almost. He tried to get out but only dug himself deeper in the sand. Then his engine died. We pulled him out and asset the damage. The engine ran for awhile but then it quit I mean the seats were underwater at one point, it was sort of bad. So we towed him in a convoy all the way back to camp. The next mourning we headed back home and had to use all 4 trucks to pull him thru this deep sand. We made it back ok.
Keith U aka Kubben
View

I know it's not much....but in a stocker it can be a pain in the butt. I was out at Red Rock Canyon awhile ago doing some minor wheeling when I started to go down a nice little hill. The enterence was somewhat narrow, so the only was I could get down is to start off by climbing the "wall" till I could fit. The only problem is that the "wall" was flat and the hill went down. Let's just say that I got a bit too far off-centered for my liking. I ended up making through the enterence with no damage....but I did take a nice little jump down off the wall.
Dead Link Removed

I know it's not much....but in a stocker it can become a bit somewhat of a little rush. It also showed a few of the guys in Bronco's just what a stock Explorer could do. One of them tried the same line and ended up hitting the "wall" as the rear tire fell off the incline.

[Edited by leebo on 12-21-2000 at 11:42 AM]

Hmmm... I don't think I'll win, but I figured I might as well enter.

Here I am checking the depth of the mud puddle, and onlookers are saying things like "do it mat", and "you can make it mat"
e101.jpg

Once I got stuck I realized how bad of an idea it was.
e103.jpg

Luckily, I was able to get out with a little bit of moving back and forth, but the time that I was in was enough to allow water to leak in on the drivers side, and into the the drivers side hella. I also believe that it may have later caused some wheel bearing problems...

Keep in mind too when looking at this, that for my truck to be in that deep it had to have been about 3' deep.

Mat

[Edited by Mat R on 12-22-2000 at 11:03 AM]

slab12.jpg

One of my not so smooth moves. Just not thinking I put my Explorer into 4LO and drove off with the pack. I didn't put it into Neutral so it didn't lock into 4 wheel. Going across the water crossing I sunk in the soft sand.

Here is my worst stuck (my Explorer is at the bottom of the lake):

Dead Link Removed

OK, so I tried :)

Sorry guys, I live in arizona....no cool mud to get stuck in here....but rocks can be tricky too!!
View

I was straddling a little trench when the right front tire slid in. The left rear shot up in the air quick, my buddys who were watching grabbed the bumper and kept me from rolling completely. This really scared the crap out of me!!!

I dont have any stuck pics, so I guess that excludes my entry, but I'll tell ya anyway ;)

Today we had done some running to stores and such and when we got back I took it around to the shop to park it. The highway is connected to a side county road at a right angle and that county road goes up at a nice incline. Our mailbox is on the left side coming up the hill. We've had about 6 to 8 inches of snow these past few days and alot of drifting, and over by the mailbox there is a long drift about 3 foot deep that has been cut through by the mailman. I decided to go ahead and get the mail so I cut across the road still in 2wd and plowed right into that huge heap of snow. I went about 2 feet and stopped. I put it in 4wd and tried again and it lurched forward a little bit, I was stuck :( Remember, I'm still pointing at a good upward angle. So I got out and went ahead and got the mail. The rear driver side tire was fully extended, hanging into the low spot in the driveway and the front drivers tire was pushed up in the wheelwell. So I decided to just back up and take it on in :( Not much, but just had to share.

Oh ya, I went back and looked after I parked it and there was rusty streaks in between my tracks, so I guess differential case or leafs were dragging and it bottomed out of something.

[Edited by 95ExplorerLtd on 12-23-2000 at 07:56 PM]

Robert...

Robert, that is about the funniest thing I have seen on these boards!!! I was laughing out loud for like 2 mins...i couldnt stop! Thanks for the roar!

Oh, and I havent gotten stuck yet :) I couldnt get up a hill twice, but reverse solved both of those problems. Oh well, there probably isnt a place in Massachusetts that could stop BFG M/Ts. Oh well.... (and yes, that is a challenge)

I'm also an Arizona local, so looking like a drowned rat does not happen often.
The setup:
I was in a wash near the Table Mesa Rd. trail. Of course, I wasn't taking the easy way through the wash and and decided to go over the wash bank. I knew it was steep, but not that steep of a degree. My rear tire was off the ground, but I kept moving forward until I felt the front tire coming off. I then slammed it into reverse preventing a nasty spill. It was definitly time for a beer after that...
Dead Link Removed
The picture was taken just before the degree of tilt got serious.

[Edited by arsoul on 12-28-2000 at 02:47 AM]

I think my biggest 'WHOOPS' was when my wife found my old....polaroids( you know what I mean).. of my old girlfriend still in my trunk in the attic.
Sorry, I don't have any pictures to submit of her screaming at me..LOL

Originally posted by Goober
my wife found my old....polaroids.. of my old girlfriend still in my trunk in the attic.

:rolleyes: Uh oh. You should have had those cleaned out a long time ago :nono:

Here's my entry.

view

view

view

These were taken near Stillwater, Ok. We had been running a trail and this was the last obsticle. The hole had deep ruts in it so I attempted to run the far right edge. Unfortunatley I hit someone elses rut and dove right into the middle of the hole. My 235's didn't give me enough clearance at the front pumpkin and at the same time it hit the bank my spare tire came to rest on the other end. My roommate pulled me out with his XJ. Results were bent sway bar bracket and 30lbs. of mud stuck to the entire undercarriage.

Well I've recieved a few emails asking to extend the deadline for the contest so they can get there pics up.
The last day will now be Jan 10th. Get your pics up and you might win a "Serious Explorations" video.
Good Luck!

I dont suppose taking a pic of my truck in the driveway counts. I mean, I am stuck at home!!

Ok, well I convinced myself I could get out of this one and again I was proven wrong. This little mud hole was almost to the roof and had about two and a half feet of thick mud. That's riffman in the picture laughing at me.
View

No, really, I can get out guys......REALLY!
View

Ok, so I can't get out......took two different vehicles to strap me out. Broke a lot of stuff too:
Front air damn-ripped off
fuel tank crushed
Drivers rear quarter panel scratch to all hell.
View

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 01-04-2001 at 08:13 PM]

see...i thought you were just trying to see how high you could rev that engine with out blowing it...lol

this is the same trip as Matt's, just a day earlier....so we're on this trail, and i say to kampy, who is in the front, should we try it? he's like...you're the one who likes to play in the slop....go first...we'll pull you out. And I had just gotten my set of 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, so I have a larger than usual feeling of invincibility. I decide, what the heck...it can't be too bad...so Kampy pulls to the side....and i head in....so far so good....then........

Hmm...I don't seem to be going anywhere.....
View

look out the window....yup...this sucks.......
View

ok..now this really sucks.....
View

....and the after math....
View

It only took 1 or 2 good tugs to get my front tires unbogged......

[Edited by riffman on 01-05-2001 at 01:19 AM]

2001Sport, I gotta give you two enthusiastic thumbs up for doing that in a new truck, man that thing got dirty quick( take you long to clean it up?? LOL. Is that where 'MudMarine' comes from?

Riffman. where did your big ole 35" tires go? Still feeling invincible?? Guess it's time to break out the wet vac and get to work.

My vote so far........2001 Sport, good action photo, even if you still didn't get out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I gotta say, so far I think 2001 is in the lead... not because I think its the best stuck I've ever seen but because its in such a new explorer! :). By the way, heres a story (no pictures...)
Situation: First time off-roading. First date with cutie 15-year old cheerleader (hey I was 16, its legal!). matt trying to show off for cheerleader.

Matt: (picks up girl at her house): hello, what would you like to do (god forbid we plan in advance!)?
Holly: oh I don't know... what would YOU like to do?
Matt: well its your town, theres gotta be something to do!
Holly: Well, you have a 4x4, lets take it up rampart range road (this is in march by the way, rampart range road is EASY in the summer so I figure hey it can't be too hard)
Matt: (thinking: I've never been off-road before, I have no idea what I'm doing, I barely know how to put it in 4-wheel drive) says: Sure, I go off-road all the time!
Holly: Ok, well lets take this road then...

scene passes to where its now heavy heavy snow, Matt has gotten us stuck and suiprisingly, unstuck, twice now. Thank goodness for those sandbags in back eh? :). The scene ends with Matt and Holly being stuck in 3 feet of snow, trying ot shovel out but to no avail, catching a ride back to town with some nice other 4-wheelers that were miraculously up there as well, going up the next day to tow it out... and by then most of the snow had melted so it wasn't nearly as stuck as it was the day before (no seriously dad, the snow was up to at least the doors!). Suprisingly enough we continued to date for another couple of months, and we still talk, and we still laugh about our first date, so all in all, not too bad :).

Back