• Register Today It's free!

best year 5.0L Explorer?

Captain AirTime

Reaction score
City, State
Campbell River BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I've decided to find a 5.0L Explorer as a daily driver while my beast goes under the knife again. Is there a 96-01 that is a better choice than the others? reason? Eventually a turbo stroker should find its home there, but for as long as possible, I just want a nice driver. input?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe either 97 or 98 was the first year for GT40p heads. I've owned 2 98s and my current 01. All of mine have had "p" heads. The 01 also has cast manifolds instead of the older style tubular manifolds that are prone to leaking. Both of my 98s leaked. I'm not sure what other years had the cast manifolds, but I'm guessing it was at least the 00... possibly even 99s.

I'm sorry I couldn't be a little more precise, but those are basically the only differences. There is also the debate of internal vs external EGR, but if you go with at least a 98, which you should because of the "p" heads, you won't have to worry about that.

2001! Get the newest you can find. :cool:

Get the one that's been maintained the best. In and out.

I love my 97 AWD. It's been snowing hard the last few days, and this thing will go through any of it. Just to see how good it was I drove it across a field with 16 in of snow and it barely spun a tire.

Get as new as your can, or in the best shape you can find. Don't worry about the heads if you build a turbo stroker your not going to want to run either gt-40 head.

Exactly, but it is realistically at least a couple years down the road (some serious work to go on the bash-mobile first), and I do change my plans every 15 minutes or so :D

Just want to make sure there's no specific reason to avoid any particular model. I've been thinking 98+ just for the slight style update, and of course lower milage/abuse on 'newer' units. The right deal is the right deal when it all comes down, but better to know the gotchas before getting got, if you know what I mean! damn, is a 98 really 12 years old already?

Thanks for the responses!

'98 on up have the P heads and cast iron manifolds, '99 on up have returnless fuel systems, and Ford continually upgraded the tranny's also. I would say get the newest and lowest mileage Explorer as possible as long as it has been taken care of. I have a '98 and it has been great and pretty much problem free but I do like the '99 and later front bumpers better. I'll probably swap mine out for the newer bumper at some point.

I like the 96 and 97 models. Over time Explorers kept getting wider and more junk put on. I don't see that much performance difference between the P head anyways.

I'm a big fan of the '96's. :D

Don't forget to check out the Torque Monster Headers for any year you decide on.

just be sure to check that the spark plugs arent rusted in.

might want a mechanic to change them the first time in case they break off like my #7 and a few other people's #7's have

antiseize is the answer to this issue... that and double platinum plugs

Back