• Register Today It's free!

best year late ranger 4x4

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
I need some help, I am learning about rangers again after selling my '94 xl 4x2 stripper... I have roughly $13,500 to 16k to spend on a Ranger, 4x4 supercab... however if finding late year used 4 wheel drives isn't hard enough... I am unsure of what year to specifically look for. I'm leaning to a late '97 if I can find one that I like... was the (seemingly preferred) SOHC 4.0, even an option that year? Lots of folks seem to prefer this one... although it does limit the available aftermarket engine toys and whistles... Also, what year did they lengthen the super cabs, I think it was in '98 but I am unsure... any other info anyone can give or websites for me to research would be appreciated, Thanks, Becker.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Something I would consider is what year did they switch from TTB to IFS front ends. I believe it was '98, but I'm not positive. If you are going to use the 4wd, go with the TTB. If '97's had a SOHC option, with the TTB that would be a sweet package.

I have a 93 STX 4X4 with 5-spd and 4.0, std cab and bed. This thing is a rocket. I have 106k on it and have only changed the plastic rad. out for a HD brass red, and put a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in it. Love my truck! Another thing to think about is the problems Ford had on the first gen. 4.0 SOHC. I believe it was a cam tensioner or something like that.

Ron,

Where did you get your brass radiator? My '93 (with 176K miles) is about ready for a new one - all I have seen are replacement plastic ones.

Scott,
I bought mine at the "Radiator Warehouse" here in Vegas. They only have them for manuals trans. though. The # is 702-739-8800. I can't remember the cost, around $200. Good luck.

Thanks Ron,

I'll give them a call.

personally - I would find a low mileage 96 or 97.

96 and 97 have TTB suspension and the older body style, 98 went to the SLA and new style front end.

As for supercab length: all 93-01 trucks are the same as far as that goes, regular cabs were extended 3 inches in 98.

the SOHC 4.0 wasn't available until 2001 with the newest body style. all pre 2001 4.0's are OHV with a better torque range for offroading anyway (and are easily upgradable with a supercharger if you wish) they are also time proven to be reliabel with the exception of blown head gaskets in the early 90's (till 93 I think).

Avoid 95's - although they have the newer interior, the electrical systems have been known to be iffy, which were redesigned in 96.

Look for manual hubs and manual T-case if you hardcore wheel.

there are many Ranger websites-
www.rangerpowersports.com
www.rangerforum.com
www.therangerstation.com
www.rrorc.com
www.offroadrangers.com

Hope that helped :)

Cory

Back