Better? 1995 Explorer or 1999 Exp Xlt? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better? 1995 Explorer or 1999 Exp Xlt?

Run the VIN through decodethis.com.
The 5.0 V8s are hooked up to the 4R70W at least back to 1997 through 2001. In my experience, most of the Gen 2 V8's I see are AWD. May just be based on buyers preference.

Other more experience people in the forum will say the V8 2WD are the most reliability with the AWD being second and 4WD last.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

XLT is a trim level, it indicates standard equipment, but most optional equipment could have been added to an XLT when ordered. I had an XLT that almost all the equipment that my Eddie Bauer came with, which I assume could have included AWD. IDK why someone wouldn't have just ordered the Eddie Bauer trim level as it probably would have been less expensive.

Trim levels (low to high) were XLS, XLT, Eddie Bauer and Limited. The may have even been an XL level, which would have come standard with no options and was considered a "fleet vehicle".

As far as the SOHC V6's, to my knowledge it doesn't matter which year (1998-2010) as Ford never fixed the timing chain problems and the SOHC long blocks are interchangeable. IMO just stay away from all SOHC 4,0L's.

There is no 4wd V8 from the factory. 2wd/AWD only. The AWD is always on, and no low range.

There is no 4wd V8 from the factory. 2wd/AWD only. The AWD is always on, and no low range.
Ditto, many sellers will list the 302 AWD trucks as 4WD. That's just an ignorance on the seller, ignore that and simply know it's AWD. Be sure if you see 4WD in the description, that it isn't a V6. The 302's all have a "V8" emblem on the front fenders, there was no "V6" emblem in the 95-01's.

not all v8's have the emblem
I have seen a few with no emblem and the mountaineers also do not have it

Ok, so the v8 5L 2wd, engine/tranny combo are just as solid as the v8 5L AWD engine/tranny combo, right?

Thanks again!

There’s more to go wrong on the AWD, so they will always be less reliable. You add axles, a front driveshaft, and the case itself.

They are fairly reliable. If you don’t need AWD for anything, I’d probably look for a 2wd. It’d be peppier and have less moving parts.

Mountaineers surely have the V8 emblems on the fenders. 97s have the black square placard, and 98-01 have the chrome letters. If there’s any question, look under the hood. The V8s will say either “5.0” or “V8” on the center top of the motor on the intake.

not all v8's have the emblem
I have seen a few with no emblem and the mountaineers also do not have it

Both my Mountaineers were 5.0L's and both had the V8 emblem on the front fenders. All of my 5.0L Explorer's also had the V8 emblems on the front fenders. Mine were 2000's and 2001's. I believe the '97 5.0L's had a different V8 emblem, but they still had it. Vehicles that have had body work. or that have been repainted, are often missing emblems.

The easiest, most-sure way to tell a V8 is by a "P" in the 8th position of the VIN. OHC V6's have an "X" and SOHC V6's have an "E" in the 8th position of their VIN.

Below is a pic of a '96 V8 with the square 'ish V8 emblem. I think '97 was the same.
00T0T_5xFFOQQL3eF_1200x900.jpg

1996-97. The two wheel drive is just missing the “all wheel drive” text.
B65FB854-543E-4D7F-82EA-57F7933042A7.jpeg

98-01. They will have an “all wheel drive” emblem on the hatch.
195EB1EE-5C6B-4A18-8848-6887AA87D0A9.jpeg

My '00 AWD Mountianeer didn't have any AWD emblem on it anywhere. I don't believe it ever did.

Vin record shows v8 4.9L.

So 5L are 4.9 rounded up?

Yes

I just want to thank you guys tremendously for all your help! This is one of the best forums ever!

I was literally in the passenger seat as my buddy/former mechanic test drove the 2000 v8 5L and the owners were in the back seat. I was checking the answer on the 2wd vs awd.

Sure enough, this was a 2wd and it runs smooooooth and powerful... so I bought it! $1,800 and I am so happy and confident with this purchase thanks to you guys!

AC and heat work great, no leaks, well maintained, only faded paint, the compass console on top doesn't work, a finicky passenger lock must do it manual, and a pikachu pokeman over a jeep sticker (removed now). I can live with those. I love how solid this thing is!

Thanks for suggesting the v8 5L tranny combo! Best car/truck puchase ever! You guys are the fricken BEST!!
20190103_153236.jpg

Thanks also for the website - decodethis.com. That helped verifying the deets. You guys rock!

Congratulations. Now you can enjoy learning all about that truck, and the forum will point you to hints about care etc.

There is a fix for the non-working overhead console. Just need a soldering iron.

Nice truck, looks pretty clean.

Vin record shows v8 4.9L.

So 5L are 4.9 rounded up?

The 4,9L was an in-line 6 cyl. Never used in an Explorer. IDK what you're looking at. If it's something on craigslist people post all kinds of stupid ****. I'd don't know have many Gen II explorer's I've seen posted as 4 cylinders and plenty of 5.0L Gen II's posted as 4WD.

The Explorer 5.0 is actually a 4.9.

The 4,9L was an in-line 6 cyl. Never used in an Explorer. IDK what you're looking at. If it's something on craigslist people post all kinds of stupid ****. I'd don't know have many Gen II explorer's I've seen posted as 4 cylinders and plenty of 5.0L Gen II's posted as 4WD.

As I was inspecting the truck, I plugged the Vin number into Decodethis.com and it showed 4.9L, 2wd.

I love this truck. Thanks for the tip on the dome console. I will have to take it apart and see what's up.

The Explorer 5.0 is actually a 4.9.

I've dealt with Ford's small blocks since they were 260's and I've never heard anyone refer to a 5.0L/302 as a 4.9L (though that may be mathematically accurate). Seems like a weird way to advertise a 5.0L V8, which is the common nomenclature. 302 ci = 4.94889 L, but 4.94889 would look strange on the front fender of a V8 Mustang.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was on a VIN search. I’m sure it has to do with the technical details, and not the moniker Ford decided to use.

I very much understand the math. 4.94=4.9 in the technical specs.

Back