Better cornering with smaller End Links! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better cornering with smaller End Links!

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
While I was in search of my clanking noise underneath the truck I changed the Sway Bar End Links (suggested by James T). I replaced them with universal ones 2" shorter with poly bushing and I must say it gave me way better cornering.

Keep in mind, mine is lowered 2 1/2" in the front and this change might have a different effect if you are running stock height.

Edited Size to satisfy Doug and SiLenze. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why are we using small font?

I'm sorry, I didn't think it would bother you Doug.:D

just experimenting... ssshhhh...

Shorter links definately will not work well at stock height or above, only for lowered trucks.

But will they actually have any greater improvement over ones that are stock length made out of the same stuff? I must say that the stockers are junk and the ones that I replaced them with are metal with poly bushings but are stock length. How does having them 2" shorter improve handling?

I'm not saying that it doesn't. I just don't understand how.

using shorter links on a lowered will put the bar back at the same angle it was at when it was stock height. in theory, this shouldnt affect handling too much. but, i noticed mine felt a little more "planted" when i went with shorter links. im guessing its because the new link has poly bushings and a much bigger bolt and is more rigid than the weak, crappy, cheesy stocker.

just a guess...

How long are the stock links? Or, how long are your links? (yes, i realize i could just crawl under there with a tape measure) ;)

I benefited by replacing my stock ones to shorter, metal, Poly bushings.

DSC01302.jpg

Originally posted by james t
the new link has poly bushings and a much bigger bolt and is more rigid than the weak, crappy, cheesy stocker.

Where did you get the bigger bolts from? I had a hard time finding a replacement. The ones I got was the universal ones but they were a size thinner than the stock ones.

Originally posted by HokieBert
How long are the stock links? Or, how long are your links?

For some reason they were listed as 4 1/2" but if you measure them from end to end, they're atleast 6 1/2". The picture by BM is about right.

X-factor- i got mine at autozone. they are exactly like the ones in blackmagic's pic, and i even have a pic just like that around here somewere....

i dont see how the ones you got have a smaller bolt than the factory ones. the "cover" looks beefy on the stockers, but the bolt underneath is super small. the one on mine was alot bigger than stock, but the sleeve was smaller and metal instead of big and plastic.

so how much do they cost?

Originally posted by Black Magic
Like 12 from AutoZone. Energy Suspension product in a yellow blister pack.

Yes the same exact one but at Pep Boys for $15.

James T-
I used 5/8" to take the old stock ones out and I used 9/16" to put the new ones in. I figured I'd buy a bolt of the same length at Home Depot and replace it. The only thing I'm concern about is the bolt might not have the same strength as the ones designed for cars.

Yeah grade 5 will work fine, grade 8 would almost be overkill. The bolts aren't load bearing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back