• Register Today It's free!

better gas mileage

glidestreet

Reaction score
City, State
Antrim NH.
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer sport trac 2005
just have a 2005 sport trac with 4.0 how to get better gas mileage out of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, welcome to the site and to the Sport Trac forum!:wavey:

Sport Tracs are HEAVY and gas mileage suffers because of it. You can make small improvements by maintaining it properly, ie. tune-ups, tire air pressure, pcv system, synthetic fluids,etc. Some also gain mpg by going to an aftermarket cat-back exhaust. (Some of those also lose mpg because they can't keep their foot out of it with the new sound :burnout:). Some use tuners to eek out a few less drops per mile of the precious push-water. You don't say what mpg you're getting so we don't know where you stand in your quest to save the fuel dollar.:dunno:

Search for a member named Aldive. He had a 2nd gen Explorer, but made a ton of mods and claimed to have gotten 30 mpgs. I'd think many of the practices he employed transcend nearly motors. I think he said one of his biggest mods was the driver.

well i have an 08 sport trac and i get 14 in city and 14.6 on highway fuel milage stinks its got a 4.0 5 spd automatic and 373 gears same as my 03 ranger had i was getting 18 city and 21 highway with the ranger

.....:wavey:

Sport Tracs are HEAVY and gas mileage suffers because of it. .....

well i have an 08 sport trac and i get 14 in city and 14.6 on highway fuel milage stinks its got a 4.0 5 spd automatic and 373 gears same as my 03 ranger had i was getting 18 city and 21 highway with the ranger

I guess a good experiment for you would be to drive a sport trac and a ranger to the scale and weigh both of them.

From what I remember lifting 20lb of weight requires less effort than lifting 40lbs, unless vehicles behave a lot differently extra energy (fuel) will be used with the trac.

You can possibly improve on those numbers. maybe buy a device that shows instantaneous mileage (like a scangauge or similar), and watch instantaneous mpg with different driving styles.

driving nicely, I've seen similar numbers to the ranger in the Trac, but I use premium fuel only - might be a waste of money but premium does burn cooler, and I do see an increase in mileage (possibly subliminal).

I just replaced my tranny filter (at 53K miles) and am now getting 1.5-2 MPG more than before it. I averaged 19 the last tank versus the 17+ I was getting.

Not a flush, actual drop of the transmission pan and replaced the filter.

Some easy things?
1. K&N Drop-In Filter, Cold Air Intake, or Exhaust System
2. Spark plugs/fuel injectors are in clean condition
3. Take out the air silencer in the air intake box
4. Tire Pressure
5. No extra weight
6. YOUR FOOT/Cruise Control

If you're not in a hilly area, use cruise control as much as you can because it keeps your speed/RPMs constant. I remember one tank of city driving I got 18.2mpg by not going over 2k RPMs and using cruise control whenever possible, I just can't drive like that all the time and don't care too much to. When I don't use cruise control/drive with a heavy foot I get 12-14. But if you're looking for a 25-30mpg, it's not gonna happen

just fiqured with first tank of gas i am getting 17.8 miles to the gallon can i still do any better or is that average?

Synthetic Oil

Would you recomend using Synthetic oil for a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Tract XLT with 135.000km on it.

Thanks for the information will do next oil change.

Just my thought on this, but if fuel economy is a priority, then DONT buy an Explorer / Sport Trac!!! LOL!

That being said, in my old '96 Explorer, I could get 20 mpg just by driving around like an old grandpaw. Drive as if there is an egg between your foot & the gas pedal. Coast as much as possible. Watch the timing of the traffic lights & learn to ( as much as possible) coast up to them and let them turn to green before having to come to a complete stop. ANYTIME you bring ANY vehicle to a complete stop, it takes a LOT of energy (fuel) to get them up & moving again. Try to pick routs that does not have stop sighn if possible. (You allways have to obey the law and come to a COMPLETE stop at them. Fuel millage be danged!)
Yeah, the $49.95 "supermiler whatzigidjets" that promice decimal increases in MPG's might help some. But if you factor in the cost of a high flow exhaust and a GOOD true COLD AIR intake, it takes a lot of miles to recover the cost input of the parts vs. just driving it like it is.
Your FOOT is, and allways will be, the #1 enemy of getting good MPG's! lol.

However, I still for the most part drive like gas is still $0.98 / gal! HA !!!!

Fuel Milage

Thanks for the feed back just considering the E85 alternate fuel I checked around Winnipeg and there is only 1 place that sells it not worth my time. I will use regular fuel and enjoy the truck instead of worying about fuel economy.:thumbsup:

E85 will drop your economy ratings too. You'll use as much more in fuel as the money you saved by buying the cheaper E85.

E85

I really appreciate all the information I have been receiving about my truck. This site is Fantastic for getting questions answered. I just wanted to say Thank You to all of you. I will be staying away from E85 with all the information I have been receiving it's not worth it at present.

just running around mine gets right at 21 MPG (not many stop signs though). If i do a lot of highway thrown in the mix I can pull down 23 consistently. BUT its 2wd and stock.

I have an 01 sport trac. Would it help to put a tonneau cover on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 01 sport trac. Would it help to put a tonneau cover on it.

Probably. You see more of a difference on long-bed trucks, but it couldn't hurt.
I've had a tonneau on all my trucks because I need it but the most underpowered of the bunch, a 3.0L 4x4 Ranger, definitely held speed better on the highway with the tonneau in place.
My Trac is mostly stock, have a K&N drop-in and a Gibson cat-back exhaust, I run Mobil 1 0w-30 in the engine and Mobil 1 ATF in the transfer case. Based on the dash mpg display (I have an '08) if I keep it to 65 mph I will get 21 mpg if the road is level. If I run 80 mph I will get 16 mpg.

Back