• Register Today It's free!

Better handling/ride question

99Mounty

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer
I really want to improve the handling of my mountaineer. I was looking into getting the EE suspension lowering kit, but that costs way too much for my budget.

Do you guys think just an anti-sway bar alone would be good enough to improve the handling/ cornering?

I was thinking about lowering it doing TT and lowering blocks, but then I'd have to spend like $400 bucks for lowered shocks. Also, I like to take my mountaineer off the road every now and then; do you think lowered shocks can handle a little offroad usage?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you dont have to get lowered shocks... well it depends on how much you drop it, but 1-2" and you will be fine with stock shocks. You may want to get a set of front shocks (edlebrocks) down the road. The rear shocks dont change height when you lower the back so all lowered shocks are going to do is give you a little stiffer ride. You dont have to buy the EE lowering kit to lower it. You just need to buy some blocks ($20) and do a TT. Then just get an alignment at a place that can adjust the camber. A rear sway bar with collets will help too.

If you want to get better handeling and still be able to use your X off road, why not go with the better sway bars, and go up to a 17" or 18" wheel with a lower profile tire?

are 18" wheels w/ low profile tire capable of going offroad?? cuz for 18" wheels, i'm looking into pirelli scorpion tires.

how much better control/handling/cornering does lowering ~1.5in do? does it improve it THAT much?

Thanks.

I have the EE rear sway bar with collets. I lowered the back 1" and the front 2" and I have 17" wheels with 255/60 pirelli scorpions. I can take turns just as fast as my friends honda. Its a totally different truck now.

Back