better in the long run SAS or lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

better in the long run SAS or lift

94ZebraRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Laramie, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
I am wondering what would be best to do. I don't want to spend 2Gs on a lift then go solid, but don't want to go solid if it doesn't suite my needs.
Solid axle swap or lift on my 95 X IFS. I want to build it for multi use. not strickly wheeling. But be able to hit the trails, drive it on vacation, or tow a trailer. I am looking to get bigger meats under it. Don't like body lifts so that is not an option.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Modifiying the superlift to fit would be your best bet then. Most SAS's are terrible on the road while the superlift maintains stock paramiters. The superlift its a 4 inch suspention. On top of that you can crank up the tortion bars for another 2 inches and add warrior shackles to give you about a 6 inch suspention lift. Since you want to go on vacation and drive this on the street alot this would be your best bet.

I don't agree.

The SAS and 4" superlift cost about the same if you're careful with the SAS. The SAS will result in far better wheeling and they can be great on the street if you build them right (I've ridden in quite a few). Also if you build the SAS right it will be more reliable than the superlift setup.

Or: overcome your dislike for body lifts and do 2" suspension and 3" body and get 33s and be done with it with a bunch of money in your pocket.

After installing a 4" Superlift on Karol's truck, I agree with Alec on the 2" suspension lift and 3" body lift. With a little trimming 35's will fit under that (reference DasFrem and Doug's trucks).

p.s. I hate body lifts too, but after seeing the lack of front ground clearance from the superlift setup, I think it's the best way to go short of the SAS. MUCHO cheaper too.

MMMMM I like the idea of 35s.
So basicly turn up the torsion bars and shakles will give me the 2" lift, Is this correct. Instaid of the shakles could I do a SOA?????

What body lift do you suggest?

Thanks Guys

Tim

No, you can't do SOA unless you want the rear sitting 3.5" higher than the front.

If you will be towing a good sized trailer often, I wouldn't do either.

To be honest, I couldn't feel too much difference driving my SAS on the street from how it was. It handles great.

The nice thing about doing the body lift and tt is that it's quite cheap to do, and you can reverse it easily if necessary. If you do the superlift or something like that, it can be reversed, but it takes a while to put in and costs a lot more $$$. If you go SAS right off the bat, there is no going back......at least not easily.

As for doing a SOA in the rear with a TT up front, both Doug and DasFrem are set up that way. The rear does sit a little higher, but if you go with either the 'B' or '1' rated bars, you can twist it far enough that it's not too noticeable. Down side is your cv joint life will suffer.

Back