• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Better starting point for 2nd gen SAS--2WD or 4WD?

SVO42

Reaction score
City, State
Hatton, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XL
I've already cut my teeth on a serious SAS on a '94 with 1-tons. Now I'm curious about a build that's not as hardcore. We are full-time RVers now, domiciled in Texas, but I want to keep things legal across the board. What I want is a 5.0 2001 Sport-Trac, the only year that the ST overlapped with the 5.0 in 4-door Explorer/Mountaineers.

My curiosity is which 2nd gen platform is better for a mild front SAS (I'm heavily leaning toward a '80+ full size Jeep (FSJ) front Dana 44 since the width is about right (61" WMS-WMS, IIRC). I would likely buy an '01 Explorer/Mountaineer with the 5.0 as the donor vehicle to have everything available. Considering I'd be doing a D44 SAS, does it really matter if I start with a 2WD Sport-Trac? With the SAS is there any bonus by starting with a 4WD version? As far as the donor 5.0 vehicle, I know the transmission output and adapter for the transfer case are an issue, but I would not really want the AOD/BW4405. I would prefer to have the Sport-Trac have an E4OD and BW4406 or NP203/205 or Dana 20 from an Early Bronco. I know I'd have to convert the ST to a more 4WD-like steering, so I'm already aware of that. My goal is to have a 2001 ST that is 50-state legal (engine swap), have a decent SAS front axle (FSJ Dana 44--fine for me even though they're low-pinion but the width is about right), and be able to tow near the Explorer/Mountaineer 4-door 2001 max of 6,8xx pounds. Due to the longer wheelbase I'm sure if Ford had made a 5.0 ST the tow rating would have been a little higher. I want a ST (always have ever since they came out, and I mean 1st gen) and need to eventually tow an RV that would be under 7K# but pushing it (aside, I know all about pushing tow ratings--been there done that, I still want to be safe). So, considering the custom work involved, does it really matter if I start with a 2WD or 4WD ST? As far as the donor, I don't think it matters. TIA--thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ProjectAviator IRS articulation, better w/o swaybars or not Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
B What will flex better? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 22
M Which Shocks Are Better ??? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 11
C As better? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
W Which AAL better for sacked Springs ? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
F Shock Upgrade for Better Ride Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 16
9 better in the long run SAS or lift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
L Which of these is better Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
C Which is better for X? Body+Susp Lift or Just Susp Lift?? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
9 Better handling/ride question Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
X Do i need better sway bars... Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
M A Better Steering Extension...Cheap Too! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
B which is better, Skyjacker, or Superlift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
W Which AAL is better Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
S 3" Body Lift , Which one is better Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 7
T better groung clearance Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 10
N Starting a lift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
9 I'm starting to worry!!! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
S Starting BL Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
bplein 97 XLT SOHC, just starting out Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 22
01EB5.0 $25 off Edelbrock shocks starting 10/23/00 Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
TheChadders Point me in the right direction for a SAS! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
R Best Measuring Point Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
M Body mount point above gas tank Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
H Point of block... Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
F Body lift - Point of no return... HELP!! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6