Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread

The new turd mobile. 2000 Mountaineer v8 awd.

The bad:

Was living it's prior life on a dusty road. Must tear out interior and deep clean.
Driver window off track "or something" and will not roll down. It tries but the rear part wants to stay up.

3 out of 4 door handles have issues. I have 4 new outer handles on order.
Cracked passenger side tail light housing. ( Ebay for some cool tail lights)

Compass-Thermometer thingy lit up and went out--idunno bout that yet

Door locks seem sticky, probably has to do with the handles.
It has a funky purple color trim with red metallic ( you'll have that every now and then) :(

The good
Gas tank was full
109k miles
I am the 2nd owner!!
Is from the local area, which means no salt!
The undercarriage is fairly clean
No dents to underside panels
Good rubber
Camber shims already installed
Looks like good service records, all recalls were completed.
Clean carfax believe it or not.

The "maybe" bad

The original owner, told the dealership it had a bad "heater core" however I have run it for several cycles, over an hour each idling in the driveay and see no leaks.
However, there was evidence of a windshield leak or the like,I saw condensation on the inside of the windows this AM. The moisture smell is that of water only-no anti freeze smell. I am thinking it could also be a cowl drain which is clogged???? but she did say the passenger carpet got wet.

I tried to get heat, however it is an auto climate control. Being 90 degrees outside, I doubt it would have given me heat.The heater core hoses were hot, and the coolant bypass valve does operate. AC blows Ice cold.

Maybe she meant to say "heater door"???

Anyway--here are the pics.

My intent is to drive this and use it as a tow rig for a light weight off road toy. Mods will be minimal. Edit: This plan did not work out so on to plan "b"

Current visual status

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

Progress pictures
025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

042.jpg

038.jpg

Now, let's clean it up a little

Herculine'rd rocker panels. Rock sliders installed

005-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

BW 4406 True 4x4 Manual transfer case ( AKA Mouse entry point) installed 8-27-2012
Installed newer Tcase from a 2003 11-14-15

003-7.jpg

Saw a rainbow in Colorado so yeah, time for a picture
119.jpg

And here she is, on top of the highest pass road in North America. Careful tire placement a must!!!
041-1.jpg

2-2-2013

Changed "color scheme" of the Dick Cepek DC1 wheels. New Falken Wildpeak AT 31x1050x15

005_zps519396ed.jpg

Then I decided Maroon washer on the wheels would look better

006_zps9145ce92.jpg

003_zpse4691714.jpg

Update 6-6-2013

New bumpers, winch and Pro LED light . Front Bumper from RLC, Skid plate from RCI, rear bumper from Kert307

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

002_zps7dd4e30f.jpg

Rear anti sway disconnects

004_zps1b757042.jpg

Update 9-2-2014
A cracked radiator at 70mph led to engine failure. Replaced with a freshened up a bit 80k mile engine starting on page 23

001_zps0a3e1791.jpg

Found another rainbow in Kansas.

008_zpsarhv1lwt.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Whichever one gets in trouble that week. Smoked ribs? ;)
I think I saw the youngest girl steal a cookie once. I assume she has the newest bed? Smoked ribs are fine:D

Hey Jon! Did you do or undo the zip tie mod? It was hard to notice much of a difference on mine. But it would be hard to notice either way lol. Maybe I need to drive a stock truck sometime to notice.

I performed it because I was not getting full open throttle. Perform is a strong word for zipping a tie and cutting it but yeah--

Before the zip tie my scan gauge said TPS counts were 78% with the pedal on the floor. Now it says 96%. I could play with it for 4% more but why? She'll be good with what she gets.

:D

PS edit
I was very accustomed to the feel of the accelerator pedal, and noticed it now sits higher in the home position. In other words, taking up the slack will raise the pedal a tad. This changes the feel of off idle acceleration. Merely an observation of something to re flash into motor control.

The main reason for the front bumper was ease of mounting-dismounting a winch. I wanted to do a hidden winch, however, for as good as it looks, it is just as hard to get to for servicing.

It needed a rear bumper to match so what the heck.
After removing the stock plastic bumper the lack of radiator protection is apparent, and the plastic really does give a false sense of security to that area, so the skid plate is a must do.

The light location made sense to me, and is wired to the stock fog light switch. It is bright beyond description. I see signs illuminate 2 miles away.

My front bumper is half gone and I need to get a new one. I was looking at the custom bumper thread and came across your rig. I love it!

I am thinking about going with the same front bumper/skid plate but I wonder, does your mounty have the tow package? Does/Will the skid plate block too much air to the transmission cooler?

Love your truck!

My front bumper is half gone and I need to get a new one. I was looking at the custom bumper thread and came across your rig. I love it!

I am thinking about going with the same front bumper/skid plate but I wonder, does your mounty have the tow package? Does/Will the skid plate block too much air to the transmission cooler?

Love your truck!

My scan guage says no. There is still enough room to add a fan also.

Yes, it has the tow package.

Thanks for the compliment.

Hi Jon, how's it going? I've been "away" for a while myself, family illnesses and life etc.

I do have small news. You went from a black truck to a red/red model, and I'm now going the other way for a little while. I just bought a rough black 98 Limited, to replace my red Mounty.

I needed to find one without rust, and this one has none, but lots of work needed. I will eventually get it modified and have it look like the Mountaineer though, red on red too.;)

Since my Son is hanging out here today we decided to strip down a recently acquired, used front axle-diff.

The seals and driver side bearing came out ok, but we cannot seem to get enough grip on the Torrington bearing in the passenger side tube. The fingers on my slide hammer are not sharp enough to get in behind it good. We can snag it but the fungers come out by the second whack, I do not think the bearing has even moved. Does anyone have an idea for removing this?

Oh, by the way, Rockauto dot com is incorrect in their listing. The front axle bearings are not the same side to side. I used them for reference but ordered from Amazon. Amazon said the bearing for the right front was a b 268 but I believed Rockauto. Live and learn.

Timken 5707 fits on the driver side, passenger side uses a Torrington B-268 needle bearing 2" OD 1 5/8" ID for the stub shaft support.

In other words we are done for the day. I have a while to hear suggestions for removing the bearing. surely someone has done this. I could have sworn I have but I have no memory of it now.

"

Hi Jon, how's it going? I've been "away" for a while myself, family illnesses and life etc.

I do have small news. You went from a black truck to a red/red model, and I'm now going the other way for a little while. I just bought a rough black 98 Limited, to replace my red Mounty.

I needed to find one without rust, and this one has none, but lots of work needed. I will eventually get it modified and have it look like the Mountaineer though, red on red too.;)

Oh Hi Don! I hope you are over the humps now. :D

I'm trying to remember what that bearing looks like on the passenger side. A trick the mechanics use at work is weld a solid bead around the bearing, let it cool (shrink) and it should just slide out.

I'm trying to remember what that bearing looks like on the passenger side. A trick the mechanics use at work is weld a solid bead around the bearing, let it cool (shrink) and it should just slide out.

a good view might help. autofocus+tube = blurry but I think they will work

Attachments

• 100_1826.jpg
    100_1826.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 100_1825.jpg
    100_1825.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 100_1824.jpg
    100_1824.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 254

Had a similar problem and used a long two jaw gear puller with the jaws flipped with the lip pointed out and a wood block to wedge the jaws open so they don't slip, and the threaded part of the puller swapped out for a bolt that would connect to the slide hammer, its a hell of a contraption but it works well for axle bearings

Had a similar problem and used a long two jaw gear puller with the jaws flipped with the lip pointed out and a wood block to wedge the jaws open so they don't slip, and the threaded part of the puller swapped out for a bolt that would connect to the slide hammer, its a hell of a contraption but it works well for axle bearings

I was wondering if i wasn't going to have to do some rigging. Turns out all you need to do is knock out the needles, and grab the outer ring. Came right out this way.

:D

Good job there. I've had one front diff rebuilt by a good Ford tech, now retired. That man told me how much trouble a couple of the parts inside were to work with, the bearings were some of that(special Ford tool someone else had).

I just called again today to try to contact another Ford tech, who had a low mileage front diff. I learned last week that he had quit a while back, to work at a dealer near his home. I hope he'll call me back and still has the diff. My "new" truck has 158k on it and everything looks original(old).

I'm feeling slowly better, the crud is just a nuisance now(less headache so less medicine). I should have my title for the truck tomorrow, I had to mail it back after learning that NC requires a notarized sig.

I'm going to swap the front driveshaft, axles, hubs, brakes, and tires from my Mercury to the "new" truck, to get it running(and be able to use up the 18" tires). I'd love to swap the front diff also, assuming the one I might could get is a 3.73 gear too.

Temps are warm, it's mowing and yard work time here.

Well, it wasn't pretty but the front diff mount bushings have been removed.
A friend of my son came and saved the day, allowing me to merely observe while they went at it.

The new bushings are in the deep freeze. Hopefully they will shrink a little and go in a bit easier.

I was told to use a candle to heat the ring(s) on the diff, and allow wax to drip around, I can see where this will expand and lube the hole to make them easier to press in.

Well, it wasn't pretty but the front diff mount bushings have been removed.

Where did you get the bushings from? Part Number?
Press in? What are you using for this?
Questions, questions, and more questions.

I have one that's not very happy, and with my diff out, now would be a good time.

Where did you get the bushings from? Part Number?
Press in? What are you using for this?
Questions, questions, and more questions.

I have one that's not very happy, and with my diff out, now would be a good time.

Part number for front differential -axle housing mount bushings

F67Z 3A443 AA ( around 38.00 each from ford)

There is also one in the torque bracket so to do them all you'll need 3

The complete front differential axle housing torque (mounting) bracket part number is 3L5Z 3K090 AA
This part is $190.00 so I would attempt the bushing first.

Yes these are press in.
For removal, Remove the center tube (easily presses out) and rubber first ( cut out or burn) , then shave off the outer rim piece with with a cutoff tool so you can fit a backer sleeve for pushing the bushing out. A few dimples to the bushing edge with an air hammer makes the pushing edge larger. I used a 1 1/4" socket and a c clamp press to push it out once the guys had it all prepped.

edit. click here

or here

Good news and bad news.

Betty's fuel pump works just fine. =the good

Fuel spraying out all over the engine bay=the bad.

and we really needed her to run today. :(

Sounds like evil was teaching her when Tim was there

Sounds like evil was teaching her when Tim was there

Evil only sat by her for 2 days. She didn't have time to educate Betty on how to piss its owner off....I think
If it ends up being a fuel rail or the lines coming off it going to you fuel lines let me know. I have a couple kicking around you can have

started her up and said "hmm, that smells like gas"

"can't be from my car"

So I headed up to the gas station, left it running while I went in to say howdy to the gang, came outside and saw fuel dripping down all over the cat converter, there was a 2x4 foot puddle of gas under the truck. Got it home without going boom! Well, at least the truck didn't go boom. But I sure did. :mad:

I have a veteran son who is having a rough go of life. Seems like he's cursed. Seriously, just when things look good something just like this happens.In the last 2 years he's totalled 3 vehicles due to deer.

Today he started a new job, and needed Betty to get there. He got to work ok, but it was a challenge we just didn't need.

Back