Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread | Page 58 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread

The new turd mobile. 2000 Mountaineer v8 awd.

The bad:

Was living it's prior life on a dusty road. Must tear out interior and deep clean.
Driver window off track "or something" and will not roll down. It tries but the rear part wants to stay up.

3 out of 4 door handles have issues. I have 4 new outer handles on order.
Cracked passenger side tail light housing. ( Ebay for some cool tail lights)

Compass-Thermometer thingy lit up and went out--idunno bout that yet

Door locks seem sticky, probably has to do with the handles.
It has a funky purple color trim with red metallic ( you'll have that every now and then) :(

The good
Gas tank was full
109k miles
I am the 2nd owner!!
Is from the local area, which means no salt!
The undercarriage is fairly clean
No dents to underside panels
Good rubber
Camber shims already installed
Looks like good service records, all recalls were completed.
Clean carfax believe it or not.

The "maybe" bad

The original owner, told the dealership it had a bad "heater core" however I have run it for several cycles, over an hour each idling in the driveay and see no leaks.
However, there was evidence of a windshield leak or the like,I saw condensation on the inside of the windows this AM. The moisture smell is that of water only-no anti freeze smell. I am thinking it could also be a cowl drain which is clogged???? but she did say the passenger carpet got wet.

I tried to get heat, however it is an auto climate control. Being 90 degrees outside, I doubt it would have given me heat.The heater core hoses were hot, and the coolant bypass valve does operate. AC blows Ice cold.

Maybe she meant to say "heater door"???

Anyway--here are the pics.

My intent is to drive this and use it as a tow rig for a light weight off road toy. Mods will be minimal. Edit: This plan did not work out so on to plan "b"

Current visual status

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

Progress pictures
025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

042.jpg

038.jpg

Now, let's clean it up a little

Herculine'rd rocker panels. Rock sliders installed

005-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

BW 4406 True 4x4 Manual transfer case ( AKA Mouse entry point) installed 8-27-2012
Installed newer Tcase from a 2003 11-14-15

003-7.jpg

Saw a rainbow in Colorado so yeah, time for a picture
119.jpg

And here she is, on top of the highest pass road in North America. Careful tire placement a must!!!
041-1.jpg

2-2-2013

Changed "color scheme" of the Dick Cepek DC1 wheels. New Falken Wildpeak AT 31x1050x15

005_zps519396ed.jpg

Then I decided Maroon washer on the wheels would look better

006_zps9145ce92.jpg

003_zpse4691714.jpg

Update 6-6-2013

New bumpers, winch and Pro LED light . Front Bumper from RLC, Skid plate from RCI, rear bumper from Kert307

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

002_zps7dd4e30f.jpg

Rear anti sway disconnects

004_zps1b757042.jpg

Update 9-2-2014
A cracked radiator at 70mph led to engine failure. Replaced with a freshened up a bit 80k mile engine starting on page 23

001_zps0a3e1791.jpg

Found another rainbow in Kansas.

008_zpsarhv1lwt.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

She looks better than new, and 20 years old, good times.

Thanks Don.

So I got this hole. sound and rodents can get in even with the carpet, bottom boot, and trim boot installed.

004.JPG

I also got a silicone oven mitt.

005.JPG

Hmmm.

006.JPG

View attachment 159065
008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

Just need to screw or rivet it down, the lower boot and carpet will hold it also.

If you have rodents coming in(mice I presume), they will keep going through there, until you erase their scent from the entire area, and have a very good barrier.

I'd find the best odor cleaning chemical, and spray/scrub that on thoroughly, around the hole underneath, and inside. The mice, like ants, trace their old paths by smell, which leads them back to the hole.

I think that kind of cover can work(help), but it may need to be doubled, placed on the underside as well. I'd try some leather or rubber also as an outer layer(with bigger holes than the glove material), plus the gloves inside.

Good luck, I've seen mice eat through cement sealant(fills holes in cement). We had mice coming in along an underground water pipe, sealing the hole around the pipe didn't stop them. Poison took care of it slowly, but they were not stopped from getting inside. Try to erase their scent trails.

I know what ya meant as you told me that story and your just prepping for future trips.

But... I stuff holes with sos pads before sealing them up. They chew it, and croak. Might not be a good deal on a rig, as it might promote rust, but for the home, yeah, works like a charm.

I have a 100% kevlar oven mitt which I also never use, I might lay it down first. Kevlar will challenge the little bastages.

Main goal is sound deadening. A lot of sound comes up through there.

huh.... I've never had any issues with the opening for the shifter. either rodents, or sound. I have a B&M Shifter boot on it, and the original F-150 Shifter boot over that one. No problems.... yet.

Oh crap, yeah, last year they got into my console, opened a pack of cigarettes and jacked one without even asking. Got all the cookies out and they went for the tobacco. @traveler doesn't smoke or eat cookies so his truck is safe. :)

I have cleaned the console out since, but I am going to use Don's advice to clean it up real good with pet kennel cleaner stuff when it comes back out for carpet fitment. Thanks Don for the "not nice mice trail" tip.

So jealous of your progress. I get stuff done on mine and then it just sits. I get so busy with work and home improvement stuff that I just don't have the energy sometimes. One of these days we need a good Kansas gathering.

So jealous of your progress. I get stuff done on mine and then it just sits. I get so busy with work and home improvement stuff that I just don't have the energy sometimes. One of these days we need a good Kansas gathering.

So jealous you can hold a job. I post things in excitement of being able to get something done. Don't be jealous, you have a future. This is my only vehicle and I seem to have all the time in the world. I'm very slow-

When We drive Betty our ***** hurt. Backs hurt. Something has to be improved upon. Cobeau seats in the future but for now I have to go ghetto with what I have on hand.

That being said, I think I found a good temporary fix to the sagging seat.

Betty let her load shift. Both front seat riders were riding in a shifted hip position. not noticable until you do it for a while and wonder why you can't walk for a while after getting out of the seats. I can go about 1-maybe 2 hours before i just have to get out and walk around for about 5 minutes. My spine is fubr with a d

I am in the middle of putting the interior in so I distracted myself by removeing the driver seat base. Here is what I found
001.JPG
002.JPG

oopsie, one doesn't look like the other

003.JPG

A friggin slacker spring!

004.JPG
005.JPG

006.JPG

I put a tiny downward bend to the bolster rod so the wire would stay put and retain the spring ^^^^^
Then I ran a chunk of old rear floor mat under the wires, carpeted side toward foam, to keep them from cutting into the foam. Zip tie to put sideways tension on the wires as the rope was broken
007.JPG

Passenger seat was the same, so, I did the same to it. Hope it works for a while at least.

If you send me the seat foam and cover, I know a place I can take it to, and have a new one made fairly cheap. They have different densities /types of foam you can choose from as well. They need the old one to make a match.

bluka told me this once, and it worked. the foam is identical for both drivers and passengers side front seat. hit up a wrecker and find a passengers side foam, and use it on your drivers side. when i did that, i also found the seat base broken, some springs broken, stringers broken, and the seat back frame was broken. when i fixed it all, it felt like a totally different seat. like a new one.
hashtagfatguyproblems

blueka told me this once, and it worked. the foam is identical for both drivers and passengers side front seat. hit up a wrecker and find a passengers side foam, and use it on your drivers side.

I might have to try this. The pick-a-part yard I go to charges $22-37 for a bucket seat, or $22 for seat cushion base. I wonder if I can get just the foam for dirt cheap...

The seats feel like they actually work now, with suspension and bulge like never before. I like.
Still, I ordered 2 of these

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-Cool...pID=51W16WwuXSL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

The driver seat leather itself though, is real bad. I need new leather for it. I really want the "mountaineer" logo also, so, might be tough to find.I'll check ebay.

Anyway, the front seats and carpet, console, shift boot are back in, getting ready now to set the rear seats, belts and the trimwork pieces. Not only is she going back together, but I am suddenly developing more room around the house. Carpet, trims and back seats have been out since last fall, it's amazing how much space these take. Can't keep anything I want to stay nice in the garage without covering it up, so the spare bedroom, AKA MLB's sewing room, has once again become a parts warehouse. Boy will she be surprised tonight!

My seats are still comfy... But has the classic wear spot on the drivers seat from sliding in and out of the truck. Every upholsterer I've talked to wants crazy money to fix it.. but I'll keep looking. Maybe one day I'll find a perfect, tan, Eddie Bauer seat in a salvage yard. LOL

The seats feel like they actually work now, with suspension and bulge like never before. I like.
Still, I ordered 2 of these

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-Cool...pID=51W16WwuXSL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

The driver seat leather itself though, is real bad. I need new leather for it. I really want the "mountaineer" logo also, so, might be tough to find.I'll check ebay.

Anyway, the front seats and carpet, console, shift boot are back in, getting ready now to set the rear seats, belts and the trimwork pieces. Not only is she going back together, but I am suddenly developing more room around the house. Carpet, trims and back seats have been out since last fall, it's amazing how much space these take. Can't keep anything I want to stay nice in the garage without covering it up, so the spare bedroom, AKA MLB's sewing room, has once again become a parts warehouse. Boy will she be surprised tonight!

FYI, I have fairly nice grey Mountaineer seats still, if when I can find replacements, I'll sell you the covers if needed. My Mercury is a spare mail truck for good, and I have aftermarket seats for my 98 Limited. I hadn't thought of what to do with the Mercury, other than swap the other best parts over to my Limited(it'll look like a Mountaineer in general when finished).

Back