BF All-terrain 285/55/R20 on the 2011 EXP Limited? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BF All-terrain 285/55/R20 on the 2011 EXP Limited?

BETEXE

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Does anyone had tryed these tires on the Exp 2011?

I want to buy some bigger tires but I don't know if they'll fit.

Please some help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone had tryed these tires on the Exp 2011?

I want to buy some bigger tires but I don't know if they'll fit.

Please some help.

holy crap... 285...? really?

The largest ive seen successfully fit so far is 265/60/18 BFG does not make AT's this size though.

Hankook has an RF-10 tire that has a similar tread/ aggressive pattern.

your looking at a 7.15% difference in wheel diameter from OEM (255/50/20) to you request for 285/55/20.

Anything over 3% requires speedo and odometer recalibration. - if you dont recalibrate your actual speed vs. speedo reading would be 7% slower. (which would annoy a normal person IMO)
your tire width would be 1.2" wider than stock
and 2" taller than stock

Im no tire expert, but im not a bumbling idiot so my guess would be NO. that tire will rub your fenders to hell. shouldve bought a wrangler if you wanted those huge wheels.

265's may be as wide as you could go.

**If you do decide to cram 285's on please for the love of god post pictures.

ok Thanks!!!

yeah I know about speedometer and the 7.15% bigger...but I have called Ford and all the deallers and they don't know if they'll fit...all of them had told me try them (and then tell me if they are good).

So what I did is yesterday is I order them and next week I'll see if once and for all they fit!!!

I hope they do...if they do I'll put a lots of pic.

What happens if they don't fit?

I can't wait for the pics! :)

I'll take my money back!...that the good thing about it!

Hehe, I didn't realize you could just return them.

ok Thanks!!!

yeah I know about speedometer and the 7.15% bigger...but I have called Ford and all the deallers and they don't know if they'll fit...all of them had told me try them (and then tell me if they are good).

So what I did is yesterday is I order them and next week I'll see if once and for all they fit!!!

hahaha i cant get over this. Thats a huge tire for this ride. Please take a pic even if they dont fit properly and rub, before you return them. Id still like to see it. I will eventually go to 265's. just waiting on my wallet to magically fill...

ok Thanks!!!

get your tires yet ? :D

aahhh Fu!^%@*$&!!! they didn't fit!!! but it looked so Fu$%^&*ing awesome!!!! I have some pic in my phone but I'll post them when I download them to my cp...they don't look very good...camara quality!!!

I'm planning to buy a leveling kit...it's an airbag that goes in the coil spring...I think that will do the trick!!!

Does anybody know about this leveling fit? It does have very good reviews on the webpage that sells them!!!

:ttiwwp:

Please do post those pics, too bad they didnt fit :(

EXtire.jpg

bahahaha! thanks. Now i can sleep.

Leaf springs in the rear? Might as well get an 01 and older lol.

hahaha i cant get over this. Thats a huge tire for this ride. Please take a pic even if they dont fit properly and rub, before you return them. Id still like to see it. I will eventually go to 265's. just waiting on my wallet to magically fill...

I'm assuming your talking about going one size larger than the OEM 255/50/20's, correct? Reason I ask is, I eventually want to go one size higher (265/50/20). Yeah, some of you are probably thinking, why go one size higher if it's a very small difference in size from OEM? My personal opinion is, I think the tire will fill the wheel alot nicer. That's just me. My next question is, do I need to recalibrate the speedometer? I want it to be as accurate as possible. If there's a programmer available for a 2012 Explorer, I'd like to get my hands on one to put a fix on this.

The place that mounts your new tires can usually recalibrate the computer, but there might be a programmer out there - I doubt it though considering how new the 5th Gens are.

The place that mounts your new tires can usually recalibrate the computer, but there might be a programmer out there - I doubt it though considering how new the 5th Gens are.

Really? I had no idea they could do that. If I buy any tires, it's gonna be from the guys at Discount Tire since they've been good to me for the last 15 years. I'll give em a call and see if they do this. I also did a search for an aftermarket programmer for the 5th generation Explorers. I couldn't find nothing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your Ford dealer can meet or beat anyone's price on the same tire. Often times this comes with. $70 to $100 tire manufacturer or Ford rebate. Give it a try! They are not always higher priced (just have that label placed on them). Ford dealers are the 6th largest tire retailer in the USA.

Back