BFG All Terrains vs. Pirelli Scorpion A/T | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG All Terrains vs. Pirelli Scorpion A/T

Does anyone have any experience with the Pirelli Scorpion A/T? I currently have 30x9.5 BFG All Terrain T/A KO's with approx. 35,000 miles on them. Shortly after purchasing the tires, they began to vibrate significantly at highway speeds. It is especially bad at speeds in excess of 70 mph. I had them forced balanced which help some, but they still seem to vibrate more than they should. Recently, I came across a product test that indicates that the Scorpion A/T outperforms the BFG's both on-road and off-road. The only draw back seems to be that the Scorpion wears slightly faster. I think the test was completed by Automobile Magazine. Has anyone experienced excessive vibration with the BFG's, or have any experience with the Scorpion's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have 31 inch bfg ats.... i actually notice less vibration from them than i did with the firestones...... the scorpions are a good tire.... they arent as good though as the ats..... the ats are the best for an all around tire.... i drive 300 miles a week and went to los coyotes with tdavis(35"mtrs), rockranger(33"pcmuds) and rangerx(33"bfgmuds) i went almost everywhere they went... ask them to how well my truck performed for being stock.... ken cooke was also there and he said he was very surprised of the ability my car and i had... he also said i was crazy for taking out a stocker with 31s and doing all the stuff i did....

I bought a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATs back in April. I have not had them in snow or anything yet, but there was a marked improvement in wet-weather traction over the old Firestones. Wear-wise, I can't help you much, as I've put barely 2,000 miles on them so far. I've had no problems of any sort with them. Pricewise, I got one heck of a deal over a comparable set of BFGs, due to the pricing rules BFG has set on the ATko.

i just fitted 265/75/16 Pirelli AT, and compared with the General AW that where on the car (ford recommended firestone replacement) the tires are just and quiet, I get no additional vibration and they are great in the wet and mud, noting in the Uk our speed limits are higher and the raods are windier the grip in the corners was significantly better.

I like my 30" pirelli scorpion at's. Cheaper then the BFG's and have a mileage warranty. They do work well offroad some also. I like them on my explorer and my brother likes the 32" ones he has on his truck. Good grip, and not much noticeable wear with over 15,000 miles on them.

southtxexplorer -

It could be a manufacturing defect in one of the tires. I had the same problem and no matter what they did, the vibration would remain. They ended up replacing that one bad tire with a new one and everything went away, at no cost to me.

ive heard nothign but good stuff about the pirelli's. when i was buying my BFGs i almost got them. they were number 2 on my list. if i remember right the 31 was $106 or there abouts but the availibilty for the 32 was limited and it was closer to $120. i might be wrong its been a while. i love my bfgs and i know that they perform from experience so i went with them again.

Back