bfg at/ko vs. mt/km | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bfg at/ko vs. mt/km

i am curious about the rain performance of the bfg mt/km. i currently have 31 10.50 15's at/ko's on my '00 xlt and have been thinking of putting mt/km's of the same size on the truck when it becomes necessary to buy new tires. (i currently have close to 50k on the at's so the time is getting near) my issue is that i have never in my life experienced a better rain tire than the at/ko, and would like to get the input of anyone who has had both the at/ko and the mt/km as to how much better or worse the mt is in the rain. it seems to me that the mt, with it's larger lugs would not perform as well in the rain, but have nothing to go on with my assumption. could y'all please help me out? thanks in advance.

IMO ATs are better in the rain, though with siping the MTs aren't too horrible if you know how to drive.

However, do you really need mud tires?

BTW, still have that spare!

I've never had MT's but my BFG AT's hydroplane if there is a channel of water on the road... but besides that they grip awesome. I would imagine in rain, that the deep lugs on MT's help with the hydroplaning, but perhaps slip more otherwise... just a guess though.

Ed

Back