BFG AT KOs...size?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG AT KOs...size??

Hi everybody,
I am considering buying a new set of BFG AT KOs for my X. However, I have heard that these tires make a lot of noise. Could anybody comment on that please? Also, I found out that the 265/75/R16 AT KO is about $30 cheaper than the 255/70/R16 (which is my stock size). I realize that the bigger tire will set my speedometer off. Is there anyway to adjust that so that the speedometer read correctly..?
Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thanx

Quakecom

The BFG's do make some noise at low speeds, but I hardly notice it at highway speeds. Just crank up the stereo and it disappears!! :bounce: :D . As for the speedo, I'm not sure if your year has the gear driven speedo or the computer controlled speedo. Either way you can adjust it. For the gear driven speedo, you spend a couple of bucks at the dealer for the proper gear (There is a thread here on it somewhere). For the computer controlled speedo, you can either go to Ford and have them recalibrate the computer, or you can buy a power programmer and do it yourself. I chose to just remember that my speedo is off by 5% instead of paying Ford to recalibrate. :cool:

Jeff, I noticed on your web page that you lifted your explorer 2". How much did that set you back and where did you have it done?

Quakecom, you know, if you want to put those tires on, you should do the TT and shackle lift because I couldn't stand the sound when going across intersections at 40mph. Also, if you have running boards, the front part of them might get in the way when you're turning.

AggieEB, it set me back a whopping $50 or so plus an alignment. All you really need to do 2" with a late model X is Warrior shackles (Part #WAR-153 from Desert Rat) and a socket wrench to do a torsion twist. Do a search here on either TT, Warrior, or torsion, and you will find all the info. I posted how to do it (along with a couple of other people) a while back.

Back