BFG Mud Terrains | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG Mud Terrains

I just found a set of 5 BFG Mud Terrains for sale for $425 (canadian)
They have been used for 2000km and look brand new. I'm sure they won't last long, so I need some quick advice.

They are 255/75/17. These are comparable to 265/70/17 but narrower, right? Does that mean that they will fit my stock '04 XLT without any problems?

Right now I still have the stock tires on. With winter coming, I was thinking it would be a good idea to replace them. I was originally going to go with 31" or 32" BFG All Terrains. How would the mud terrains compare to both the stock tires and the ATs for both highway and off road? Will they be good for snow and ice? rain? Are they too aggressive for daily driving on the road in the summer?

Is there any reason I should not buy them?

Also, my Ex has the tow package, that means it has a higher gear ratio, right? Will that help to handle the 32" tires?

Thanks a lot

Lower gear ratio will help with bigger tires. They will be noisy on the highway and will wear quicker then a a/t. I use to have m/t on my f150 and they would really slide the truck around in snow. I got some general grabber a/t 2 on my explorer and they handle nice. The m/t though are really nice in mud and still do well in summer. Just dont expect much out of a m/t for snow and ice. Thats a really good deal if they look brand new. It would be hard to pass up.

When where they manufactured? See the DOT code.

I just called the guy and unfortunately they are sold (the ad went up yesturday). I guess I should have got out of bed earlier!!

Back