• Register Today It's free!

Big 3 upgrade question

Wilson Vo

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 4x4
Hey yall, so I was thinking about doing the big 3 but in the first gens, the charging wire coming off the alternator goes into something that looks like a relay?? So when I run the new wire, Do I connect it straight to the battery or the relay thing? Been searching for an hour and can't seem to find an answer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey yall, so I was thinking about doing the big 3 but in the first gens, the charging wire coming off the alternator goes into something that looks like a relay?? So when I run the new wire, Do I connect it straight to the battery or the relay thing? Been searching for an hour and can't seem to find an answer.

Are you talking about the starter relay?

Are you talking about the starter relay?
I think so but I’m not completely sure.
Took some pictures of it.

230CACAA-EF43-40C3-92AB-8603979A1B17.jpeg

ABF7B92C-76FC-4489-BB6D-09A19A470C1C.jpeg

That is the starter relay. Where the alternator wire ties in there, it also ties back to the battery, charging the system. Disconnect the alternator wire and rewire with your bigger wire. You will need a fuse/breaker of some sort as the factory one is inline and only good for ~80 amp. Look into a 2gen alternator upgrade.

whoops completely forgot about this thread sorry. Thanks for the useful info. I ended up just leaving it stock and have since moved on to lifting her and some mud tires!

Back