BIG auto accident (icy road)...need general info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BIG auto accident (icy road)...need general info

Just got in an accident this morning.:( Black ice, spun out and hit 2 parked cars - later year S-10 Blazer, and a newer Neon (I totaled the Neon just form the truck glancing off the Blazer and the back end spinning around and slamming it into a tree).

Anyone care to post the damage done to their trucks and the general cost for repairs ? I got a dent in the pass rear where the rear light is, and the front headlight assemby was knocked out. Prolly need a hood, dr fender, and some suspension work (pass wheel kicked out/top leaning in)....

Thanks for any help.....trying to find out if they might try & total out my truck (which I doubt....it was still running afterwards....)

Its ALOT stronger than I expected. Can't knock my X a bit....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well about 3 weeks ago a guy pulled out in front of me and i hit him with the passenger side front. luckily most of the damage was absorbed by my brushguard and the only thing wrong was a bent brushguard, a cracked front fender, scratched bumper, and broken headlight mount. When the insurance company assessed the damage the grand total came to 1080 with parts and labor.

$2300

Attachments

• mvc-702s.jpg
    mvc-702s.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 360

it was about $500 for me and my dad when he rearended a subi..he needed a rear bumper/grill..but we did all the work are selves

Your best bet is to either have an insurance adjuster look at it or take it to an autobody shop. The is no way any one on here can give you an accurate recommendation on what the cost of repair is.

what we can do is tell you the DIY way to fix things if you could post some pics. Personally, if I ever got in an accident w/ my ex (something like iAmTodd's damage), I would take the $$$ from insurence and do it myself. My cousin who had my explorer before me got in a small fender bender, the DEALER that repaired it only put 2 nuts on for the front bumper(should be 4), and 2 for the grill(should be 6), among other shortcuts they took.

rs camaro73, can you take pics of the damage and post them. if u can i'll try and give you a rough estament on time & $. U can get every part u need at the click of a botton. if the daamge is minor u can mud it & paint it. I just helped Unclemeats paint his 91 explorer. so if u can get pics & i'll try and help.

well I do collison repair for a living.
I don't know a whole lot about the pricing but I know plenty about the labor involved.
I would with out question go through your insurance company. You have a costly repair on your hands.

If you hit hard enough to break stuff like shown in the second pic, there's no telling what you could have bent/broken in the front end. Make sure wherever you take it to get the estimate looks really good at all the parts under the front. (suspension, axle, etc.)

It took me a while to figure out...but the reason the ball joint broke was because after I hit the first car, the back end swung around quickly into the 2nd car. I'm pretty sure that spin put too much stress on the ball joint since there's no body damage on the car (and only some paint on the rim).

I looked it over and the only suspension damage is that shown, plus some small dents in the shock body (nothing big, but from being towed).

As soon as I saw that I said "totalled", not surprised to see that it was...

What did they wind up giving you and how much is left on the loan?

Only gave me $8500, plus towing and storage, minus the transfer fee (since i ended up getting it back) and deductible (I had the insurance thru the bank).

I was pretty sure I had gap insurance...but since the truck was 'a gift' and I was making the payments on it....I have to get with the 'gift-er' and look over the paperwork. Even the insurance company mentioned additional coverage when they sent a letter to the bank.

OK..Balance now after all is said and done is $9600.... :thumbdwn:

I'll prolly try to get a seperate loan to pay this one off and cut my payment down. Yeah, I had traded in another ride and was upside down a little....in case you're wondering....

Back