• Register Today It's free!

Big Bear, Calif for First Timer

BrownDogs

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explr 4x4 XLT V6SOHC
I posted a similar thread in the shocks/suspension forum because I'm going on my first run and I'm getting Bilsteins shocks put on today. RangerX suggested I post here regarding my question about Big Bear Lake area in Southern Calif. so here goes:

I'm new to off-roading (so be kind ;-) and plan to take my 97 4x4 to Big Bear Lake, CA soon.

I intend to replace the stock shocks with Bilstein's. The guy at the shop mentioned axle wrap and said the Exlplorers have a 5th shock to handle axle wrap. He suggest I replace all 5 shocks. Is this correct?

Any advice for novice off-road trails in Big Bear area? I've got a Sidekick Off-Road map and the Delormes map book.

Looks like the road 2N13 from Fawnskin to Green Valley would be nice. How long would that trip take altogether? Is it fairly easy? Maybe too easy? I'm not looking to go on a really rough ride this time. Or the east side near Baldwin Lake (3N16) that goes up to the old abandoned mines looks good.

What does it mean in the Sidekick Off-Road map when it says a road is "Trail Guide" highlighted in yellow?

I'll be in Big Bear Monday-Friday of next week with my wife. I just wanna go on some easy trails with her so she enjoys it. She used to go on Jeep runs up in Northern Calif with her Dad when she was younger so she knows what to expect.

Is it okay to travel alone one on of the easy trails during the week? If something happens will a cell phone on AT&T (used to be GTE) work up there? I don't have a CB. Will there be other traffic on the trail in case I break down?

If anyone wants to meet for a run next week let me know. Like I said, though, I'm new to off roading and the X is stock so nothing too rough for the first time.

Thanks,
Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even though you're looking for easy trails, I STRONGLY recommend against wheeling alone. Having two people is important, but having two trucks is even more important. If something were to happen and you got hurt, you'd be in a real pickle. If something were to happen to your truck, you'd be stranded.

Never count on someone finding you. From my experience, you can't count on a cell phone either.

I don't want you make you paranoid or anything, but it only takes one mistake or one bad part to make a very dangerous situation.

BTW, I've never heard of the fifth shock, but I have a '94, so it's possible.

I was just up there last weekend. I ran john bull trail. DO NOT RUN THIS TRAIL. I smacked my diffs a few times and would be way to hard for a stock exploder to do. When we were heading out there we were trying to use the cell phones and could get very spotty coverage in some areas not enough to count on though. I think if you stay on the main forest service roads you should be ok I know some of them I got to baja down at around 40mph which was kinda fun. Just have fun and relax. You may find some people up there to run with as well

Matt

Man I wish I would have known. We ran in Saturday. I camped up there saturday night and could have meet you guys Sunday and ran the trail again. I ran it with a bunch of guys from the pirate4x4 board. One of the guys that was there competed the week before in cedar city in the ARCA event. Maybe next time we can get it together and run it some time

Matt

Back