Big Bear Run June 24th - 26th | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big Bear Run June 24th - 26th

Im out. I will be eather working that weekend or be working on the truck. I ordered my Ring and pinions today and the rest of the parts I need tof the front suspension. I will be ordering the locker tommorow and it all should be here next week so I can start on it the weekend of this run :D Cant wait to get the truck built up again.

Hey jefe, you might want to try giving peakempire.com a call. Im not sure what they can do about custom length shafts though. He quoted me a pretty good price today on some Yukon shafts. I have heard they have been holding up well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Out :( Too much to do.

Just a thought!

Rant on:

Im' ready to do my sas already, But just not ready $$$ wise :rolleyes:

I'm tired of draging the belly of the truck over everything! :mad:

I want rip the front axle out, do the SOA and crank the bars up 4" ...But then I'm only 2WD :(

Rant off:

Thanks for listening

We could do BKennedy's spot below but if some are staying in Fawnskin it may be too far to meet up in the morning. Other than that I remember RangerX knows the area well so any suggestions?

There is a great spot off trail 3N97, but its a long drive in to camp. End of a meadow, right inside the pine trees, lots of spots to camp, no one else around.......Its near the west end of the Holcomb Creek Trail. I could give some excellent directions if we want to camp there. It won't work unless everyone camps out; too far to drive from/to in the morning to meet with hotel dwellers.Take 3N14 past the grade and make a left (westerly) onto 3N16. Drive for awhile (few miles) then left onto 3N97. Find a spot before Ironwood Group camp (there are a few areas in here). (20-25 minutes from Fawnskin) - or another spot - 3N14 to 3N16 (left or westerly) to 3N06X (few more miles past 3N97). Turn left or southerly. At the Y in the trail (not marked) turn right. Go down trail next to a very pretty meadow for about 100 yards to the pines in the end of the meadow. Camp. You can also get here by going down 3N97 past Ironwood Group Camp to where trail "Y"'s and turn left.

John was talking about making it up there for this. If so I'll ride along.

Stic-o said:
I want rip the front axle out, do the SOA and crank the bars up 4" ...But then I'm only 2WD :(
Hey, thats what I did for a good 8 months before the SAS. Even ran a few trails in Moab like that. :cool:

Of course the reason the front axle came out was because I wasn't about to put a 4th set of half-shafts in. .. so go out and break something first. :D

Jefe said:
Of course the reason the front axle came out was because I wasn't about to put a 4th set of half-shafts in. .. so go out and break something first. :D

Out of the kindness of our hearts, I think Jefe and I could find an obstacle that could trash your front axle, them you would HAVE to replace it. :D That makes sense, right?

I'll most likely get up there on Fri. too but not sure what time, it all depends on my work situation. My friend Tim might make it out along with his buddy with an early Bronco but thats not definite yet.

jobunn said:
There's also one I've never tried called "Heartbreak" or something like that which is nearby. Its on the map as a challenging trail so may be worth it.
In the map book I have, there is White Mtn Trail (3N17) that has a section called Frustration Hill, and one called Suicide Hill. Is this the trail you're talking about?

Ok Date, Time, Where

Ok guys have been reading this all along, now need to know is the date for this run June 24th/25th? And at what time and where are you going to meet. Sounds like a great tuneup of the Rubincon.

RangerX said:
In the map book I have, there is White Mtn Trail (3N17) that has a section called Frustration Hill, and one called Suicide Hill. Is this the trail you're talking about?

I should be up there Friday early afternoon with my wife and brothers. I am thinking one of the first come firsy serve sites like Holcomb campground or one of the other developed sites off the dirt road out of Fawnskin. Thoughts?

That White Mountain trail sounds fun too, I've heard there are some steep climbs.
Here's the info on Heartbreak Ridge, I think its probably 20 or 30 minutes from Fawnskin.

"Travel on easy forest roads to remote canyons in search of rockcrawling challenges. Not a scenic trail. Many old mines in the area. Some roads allow green-sticker vehicles, others do not. ATVs and dirt bikes should access the area from Cactus Flat Staging Area on F.S. Road 3N03, one of the exit routes for this trail. Fifty-inch wide trails are for green-sticker vehicles only. Adventure Pass required if you stop to recreate. Trail includes narrow canyons, steep shelf roads, large boulders and sharp rock. Lockers, skid plates and high ground clearance recommended. Not super difficult but fairly tough. Some aggressive stock vehicles with good articulation might get through, but tow-strap assist..."

jobunn said:
I should be up there Friday early afternoon with my wife and brothers. I am thinking one of the first come firsy serve sites like Holcomb campground or one of the other developed sites off the dirt road out of Fawnskin. Thoughts?
That sounds good to me. I really need to get a book of so cal trails.

Need to know where we are meeting and what time to be there on Saturday?

Let us know.

Joel

This thread seems dead :( . So who is in? I plan on getting up there as early as possible on Friday. Discovery Center said it is shaping up to be a busy weekend for camping and fires are only allowed in developed sites as of yesterday, no fire permits being issued. I am going to try and get one of the first come first serve spots in Hanna Flat campground about 2 miles from Fawnskin on 3n14, otherwise it will be Big Pine Flat or Holcomb Creek campground. All the reserved site are filled. Anyone is welcome to stay at our site.

It sounds like people that are coming may be staying all over Big Bear. So what do you say unless we can make it work for the few of us going up Friday we meet in Fawnskin Saturday morning at 9:00 am?

As of right now, Jefe is planning on riding up with me Friday night . . .BUT . . things here at work are pretty crazy - and I'm supposed to head up to Scout Camp early Sun morning (right next to Dusy/Swamp/Rubicon) for the next week. So I think we are really just a "tentative" attendee.

I plan to head up there Fri night sometime. I have a fire permit so do you think we can still have a fire even though they aren't issuing them? I guess we can find that out at the Discovery Center...and speaking of, anyone who doesn't have an adventure pass you can pick one up there and almost any store around Big Bear for $5. You're gonna need it once you get on the service roads/trails.

So where's Mr. Kennedy? I thought he was goin on this trip too :rolleyes:

I just called up there and the Discovery center said they just changed their rules yesterday (perfect timing :mad: ) which are fires only in developed sites regardless if you have a permit. Propane only in undeveloped sites. I love the undevelopes sites but like fires even more. When I get a site (hopefully anyway) on Friday I can let anyone know that wants to stay there. I am going to try and get up there by noon. My phone is 310-435-0757, and I'll go back into town if I dont get reception. Or if the group is in an undevelped site I'll just camp there. DB_1 do you have a camp spot already?

I don't have a site yet as I was waiting to see what the verdict was gonna be with everyone else. As far as fires go, sounds like things are drying out up there increasing the fire danger. Our last trip up there we were able to have a campfire as long as we had a fire permit and we were at a undeveloped campsite. As long as I can use my propane bbq it's better than nothing i guess.

JeepMaster said:
Need to know where we are meeting and what time to be there on Saturday?

Let us know.

Joel

ditto

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i may be in. once i get this damn spindle fixed and rear brakes complete....anybody wanna come down to sd and help this weekend?

Back