Big Boo-Boo '98 Exp Sport - Stuck in hi 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big Boo-Boo '98 Exp Sport - Stuck in hi 4x4

HerkyJerky

Reaction score
City, State
Orange, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0L
Heading home July 4th evening, I was slipping and sliding in a downpour on the highway, so I switched to "hi 4 x 4" (not sure how fast I was going, but probably too fast for that manuever). Everything was cool, until I was exiting the highway, and decided to switch back to the "auto". Again, I wasn't really looking at my speed (and as a note, I'd done this before and had no problem...probably just lucky).

I heard a familiar groan when I pulled up at the first red light, and felt a familiar bucking and more groaning when I made a tight turn. (The sound the vehicle makes when you're in high 4 x 4 on dry flat pavement). I didn't think much more of it as I was so close to home.

The next morning, I noticed the "low 4 x4" light was on, and the vehicle was really groaning, and somewhat bucking. I drove it to the train station where I commute to work. Same story on the return trip (about a mile and a half). Decided to let it sit until I get back from my vacation (which means I'm without a ride for a couple of weeks (well...one more week).

Any ideas as to what's gone wrong (I should say, as to what damage I did)? I also notice that the transmission doesn't make that last automatic shift, so the engine revs higher than it normally would.

I hope that's enough info (probably too much).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay hmm.. shouldnt have put it in 4wd during rain. The fact that you're slipping and sliding probably on the highway meant you should have slowed down to minimize planing above the road. All the 4wd in the world is not going to help you stop that vehicle at that speed. But from your description of what a 4wd vehicle behaves on dry pavement, sounds like you kind of knew not to put the vehicle in 4wd in this situation.

The "bucking" and moaning is the driveline binding during the turn as all four wheels are now forced to turn at the same rotational speed -- which is impossible during a turn unless it "bucks" and "moans".

Try searching/browsing (search link located at the top bar) the Transmission Transfer case forum on how to get the vehicle out of 4wd. Some people have had luck disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, while others are forced to manually turn the transfer case back to the "Auto" position by removing the shift motor, and yet others resort to removing the front driveshaft.

Couldn't he do the brown wire mod to make it unlock the front wheels?
Yeah he could :) .. but I was thinking of temporary solutions of getting a vehicle out of 4wd.

I had the same thing happen to my 97. If you want a temporary fix, you can unplug the electrical connector to the transfer case under the truck, and it will put you into 2wd. By breaking the connection to the front diff, it works similar to the brown wire mod.

I did the BWM thing the other day. I was not having the same problem, but it "fixed" the problem I was having. The wire is super easy to get to under the drivers side threshold. I just clipped the wire with side cutters and put a bullet connection for future use. 15min. process tops.

I plan on installing a switch, but I did not have the time when I did it.

To diagnose the problem, the quick and dirty method is to unplug the large connector at the t-case and see if the binding stops. if the binding persists, it's a mechanical problem with the t-case. If unplugging the case stops the binding, you've got an electrical gremlin to track down.

-Joe

Thanks for the feedback guys...I'm going to get at it when I get back from vacation (although i did try the easy method...disconnected the battery...to no avail, the low 4x4 light was still on, I didn't drive it though, afraid I might make things worse).

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks again

the low 4x4 light was still on, I didn't drive it though, afraid I might make things worse).
Then its probably a mechanical problem with the transfer case -- unfortunately :(

Disconnecting the battery won't necessarily cause it to reset. If the GEM is getting the 4low signal from the switch (due to a bad switch or wiring issue), it'll stay there. He won't know if that's the case until he does some more troubleshooting.

-Joe

Not sure this is the final chapter but here goes...

I pretty much left the truck sitting for the best part of two months (I was away on vacation for nearly half that time, so it was going to sit for awhile anyway). There were a couple of weekends where I started it up and took it either around the block, bucking and whining all the way...or to the back of the parking lot of the building where I live. The last time i did the latter was Saturday (9/8) (and had already made up my mind that I was going to take it to my mechanic today, Friday 14th).

I have no clue what I was expecting to happen whenever I started the vehicle up and drove those short distances...a miracle maybe?

Anyway, came home from work this afternoon...got in the truck ready to take it to the mechanic, let it run a little (usually don't) before putting it in drive...I heard a weird sound (not even sure where in the vehicle it came from), eased on the gas, and immediately realized something had happened. The vehicle wasn't pulling, bucking or whining...a quick glance at the dash showed that the "low" light was extingushed (you could see the question mark above my head as I puzzled as to what might have happened).

I drove the ol' girl on local streets, and she behave marvelously...ran a couple errands, picked some take away Italian food and drove back home.

So, someone tell me, what the heck just happend!

Also, I'm guessing I should still go get it checked out because I recall seeing some dripping of fluid underneath-center of the truck (what's this?) when it wasn't "acting right"

Any and all theories welcomed.

Thanks

Back