• Register Today It's free!

Big camshaft time

5.0L96Exp

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Has anyone had any luck with a cam similar to 216/220, 0.533/0.544. I am a little worried about valve clearance with 0.5+ lift. The cam is by Crane and it says it is for the HO 302. Im not sure which 302 I have in my truck (neither does Ford for that matter). Will part 444221 work in a 1996 explorer V8.. It is very close to the E303 (220/220, 0.498/0.498).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why do you want a cam? Have you done any supporting mods first? A cam is a total waste of time unless you have better exhaust, high flowing intake manifold, headers etc. It is also a pretty big job to install one. If your 5.0 is the stock motor in the 96 Ex then it may have the GT40 P heads, either head will need new valve springs to handle anything over .500 lift.

96 did not have P heads, the change was made in 97.5

A mild cam can wake up a stockish 5.0L, but exhaust and intake should also be considerd, as well as removing the restrictive factory exhaust manifolds

HaHa if you have to ask why then you dont know me lol..... Maybe so I have an excuse to drink beer and use my tools..

Either way I'm having fun. In the last 3 days I have.....
1) Installed flowmaster Super 40 (niceeeeee)
2) 3" Body Lift
3) Front Brush guard/bumper/minivan pusher off the roader
4) Ordered a set of BFG 33x10.5x15
5) Custom airbox/airdam

Future to do:
1) Gears
2) Cam
3) Shift kit
and the list goes on..

I just wanted to save you time and money on better mods. A*mild* cam would be OK if you plan to do the supporting mods but the cam you listed isn't exactly mild..

I wish I had your time! It's taken me two partial weekends just to get my shiftkit in my trans with a new filter and flush.. damn 60hr work weeks and crazy wife won't let me get anything done!

E 303 Camshaft goig in !!! Valve springs? Preload?

I have looked into many comments about installing a motorsport E cam into a Explorer with GT40P heads. I liked the specs ,especially the tighter lobe sep of 110. I've read several peoples posts who have installed it and are happy.I've also read that Ford says it cant be used in Explorers? I'd love to hear their reasoning for that?? It seams a good choice.The lift with stock rockers is 498, I believe that stock springs are rated for about .500 or a little more? My other main question is about the ticking sewing maching sound coming from these engines, and alot of people are claiming they have it too!! I've had many a Mustang 87-95 H.O. motor and never had it in any of those motors. This 98 I have really sounds like a sewing machine. Does anybody know what to do about it? Is it a lifter preload issue? Is it a cruddy valve spring issue. HAS ANYONE fixed it??? OR, Is it due to the "wonderful" exhaust header design?

Tell me more about the custom air box. I plan on doing something, but am having a hard time figuring out how to do it.
I modified the ait box on my PT Cruiser with great success, but the same methods don't apply here.

when you get the E cam you will want to get the rest of the FMS parts designed to be run with it, the 1.6 rollers, springs and retainers.

I was going to just install the cam but the more research I did the more I decided I needed to ditch the stock stamped rockers and the weakish stock springs.
Now you have to ask yourself, why not also have the heads done or buy a set of some real sick aluminums, 5.0L heads are cheap, really.

Hurry those parts are going quick, I was told I got the last set of springs & retainers IN THE COUNTRY

I will let you know how it runs in a couple of weeks :)

I have installed on my 96 GT-40 5.0L:
Torque Monster Headers
KKM intake
Crane cams double roller timing set
FMS E-303 cam
FMS 1.6 Rollers
FMS springs and retainers
FMS 1" intake spacer
new Bosch waterpump

single 3" exhaust coming, then Baumman shift kit and finally computer tune :)

The stock stamped rocker-valvespring combination, mainly the springs, are no good over 5800 rpm's when pushing the limit of compression
The e-cam's power band is just above that.

JMO

before considering a cam a better flowing intake and exhaust manifold should be in place. when the motor can breath better, a not so extreme cam would be nice to give it stupid fast power

I am pretty sure the cam you are talking about is the crane 2031 I think, if so then the stock valve springs will not take it, Overhear up to 2002 the Falcon XR8’s had the 5.0 litre V8 220KW engine and I have heard reports of that thing busting valve sprigs in stock factory configuration.

People have installed the 2031 cam and used the recommended Crane Valve sprigs for the 2031 Cam and still managed to bust valve sprigs, it is rare but it has happened, Some people get the head re-machined to take double valve sprigs just to be safe with this cam

Cheers.

Been A While

YES, its been a while since I checked this link. I'm shocked to hear all the valve spring issues with a cam that is UNDER .500??? I've done a bunch of slightly larger cams into otherFord 5.0 motors with no problem, with stock springs.Others I have done with 1.7 rockers which broke the .500 mark a little also no problem. This cam is only like .498 ???

a .533/.544 cam is rediculous. I have a .508 cam in my mustang and it pretty much no power brakes and hates to idle. A cam that large will kill your bottem end torque

Hi,
Yes that is a very large lift for a small block. But the rpm range killing your bottem end is probably due more to the duration rather than lift. Your probably running like high 220s to 230s.

Always a good idea to match the cam with new springs and retainers anyways. Crane offers matching springs/pushrods and I woudl highly recommend going with them. That cam is a little big for a truck.. and you will actually lose power unless you have aftermarket heads and pistons

Back