Big dilemma!

Big Turkey

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4.0 OHV Sport
Alright so here's my problem:

I'm a bit short on cash, and I basically have a spending limit. My original plan was to get an eaton M90 supercharger for $500 bucks off ebay (which went quite well), get someone to custom fabricate me an intake tube and plenum and install it. I ran into problems with the plenum, like I said before one guy said it's going to be really difficult and pricey and the other guy didn't even want to attempt it. So now I'm thinking I'm probably going to spend well over $2000 for installation of this supercharger. And the problem is, I have a stock motor and everything, and I don't know if it could handle 7 or 8 lbs of boost for a long time.

So I'm thinking either I could go ahead with my plan with the supercharger, or I could purchase a full exhaust (I already have the muffler, just need the piping), a bigger TB, MAF, chip, and a ZEX nitrous kit. What do you guys suggest me doing? I only have a seasonal job and I'm a full time student, so funds are limited here. You think my 4.0 OHV could handle a good 75 shot of nitrous along with those other mods? What about the tranny? Thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're probably not going to like my reply, but you asked for it :) As a college student with limited funds, I think there should be other priorities than spending up to $2000 to make your Explorer go faster and quite likely less reliable. That is unless you have an alternate means of transportation. You need to think of the consequences if your engine/drivetrain can't handle the added stress. Can you afford to be without your Explorer if the inevitable happens? If not, then keeping it as reliable as you can should be your primary concern.

Yeah I know I have limited funds.. but I want to go fast now! :D I really don't know if I should just save my money for something better, and I do have another form of transportation.
Speaking of reliabilty, how are the 4.0 OHV handling under boost.. let's say 8psi? Anyone had any problems with it or anything? That's one of the reasons why I'm debating the supercharger (and nitrous, but nitrous is a must without the supercharger) cause I don't know how much stress the engine would handle.

Yeah I know I have limited funds.. but I want to go fast now!

--Put the supercharger back on EBay.

--Sell the Explorer.

--Buy a Mustang.

My motor handles sustained 6 lbs of boost without a problem. However, I'd max at a 55 or 60 shot of N2O.

Considering what we talked about, you might want to go with a centrifugal supercharger. Then you'd have less fabbing probs and would probably end up cheaper.

As for the other mods: you need a larger TB anyway with the blower, not so much a new MAS, I still run the stocker. And a 55 shot from the ZEX kit will actually give close to 80 hp with a supercharger if it's before the blower, 65-70 if it is after.

Back