• Register Today It's free!

Big green puddle

mathnerd

Reaction score
City, State
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 4.0 XLT 4X4
Drove my truck today and after I parked it noticed the telltale smell of antifreeze and sure enough, there is a large green puddle under the passenger side of the truck. It seems to be running down the passenger side at the rear of the block. I cant see exactly where it is coming from and was wondering if anyone had a similar experience. There is no water in the oil and no steam at the tailpipe so I am hoping it is not a cracked head. A gasket maybe? Any help will be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

front or rear of the engine?

you may have the dreaded "poor radiator seal" . The tanks on the radiator are plastic and the radiator core is metal so when its cold they don't seal tightly. mine leaks when it *the engine* is cold, until the engine gets warm, then it stops. need an all metal radiator from autozone. but if its leaking from the backside of the engine i don't know. but goodluck i hope i was of some help

The leak is coming from the rear so I dont believe it is the radiator but thanks. I have read the post from the other fellow and cant tell if his is leaking from the same place or not. I will be taking it to a trusted shop on thursday (I hate not having a garage).

It is probably leaking out from a core, or"frost" plug. There are little round steel plugs in the side of the engine block, and they rust out...Run a search here....they can be knocked out and replaced.:D

Make sure you check the heater control valve. Mine was leaking BUT only in some AC/HEAT/VENT control positions. Part is on the passenger side up near the AC condensor tank (at least on my '96). I has 4 hoses going into the valve and a vacuum control linkage. There is a good chance that if this valve is leaking it is dropping coolant on the left side of the engine and that is what is running down the block. It is simple to check (easly to see from the top), replacement is only $19.00 and 15-30min to replace.

JLP

Have a look at the heater hoses as the go through the firewall. It is on the passenger side, and if they are old enough, they will leak.

Else you could have a look at the heater core. Ford actually thought ahead with this and created a small drain from the passenger compartment to let coolant leaking from the heater dore drain outside and therefor not fog up your windows.

Either case, probably pretty cheap to fix.

Hope this helps

Turns out it was the intake mainifold gaskets, put it in the shop this morning and hope to have it back tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.
Steve

Back