big hype about flat black | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

big hype about flat black

While reading up on different color cars lately I have come across a craze about this flat black, which to me actually looks good on most cars and to some suv's. It is something new and very unusual to see around most towns, just to see some type of non factory paint is pretty unusual too around my town. But what I would like to know is what do you guys think, I am wanting my ride to stick out i have already invested over 3 grand into my audio system in my '00 explorer so you can hear it coming from a half a mile away and am ready for rims and a paint job and just need that extra push to go with the flat black.

soo what do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah... I think they call it "Murderd Out" or something like that. Personally I wouldnt do it if your paint isnt all scratched up or rusty because if you dont like it after your done your going to have to pay a shop thousands of dollars to re- paint your truck. Im assuming your truck isnt rusty or scratched up because it's about the same year as my truck and if it's in as good shape as mine I would never think about taking a rattle can or whatever to my truck.
-Just my opinion.

It all depends if you can deal having a vehicle that has no shine what so ever. Mine is rattle canned flat black because I have about 4 different colors. Hell, my friends called it the "4-tone" because of it. It's a ****ty job, but I'd rather have one bad looking color then 4 different ones. The rattle can black doesn't look to bad, but I'm still working on it. I need to get some very high grit sand paper and go over it again, and put a few coats on.

You'll about the same either way, whether you go with a shiny paint or flat black. I'd vote for something original if you're wanting to stand out, maybe a pearl blue or something of the sort. I've even thought about doing some graphics with flat blue on my vehicle as well.

Thanks

Yeah... I think they call it "Murderd Out" or something like that. Personally I wouldnt do it if your paint isnt all scratched up or rusty because if you dont like it after your done your going to have to pay a shop thousands of dollars to re- paint your truck. Im assuming your truck isnt rusty or scratched up because it's about the same year as my truck and if it's in as good shape as mine I would never think about taking a rattle can or whatever to my truck.
-Just my opinion.

i respect your opinion, and yea it is called murdered out which i kinda like but am not too sure about an explorer about that. the thing is my fathers buddy is going to paint it, the car sat in my aunt garage for 7 years and i could not even count the number of dings and chips in the sick sand color paint that is on the car, i just hate it. this car wasnt my car of choice it was given to me for a crazy cheap price. but it would be professionally done by a man who has done countless numbers of paint jobs i am just really wondering what it would look like.

It all depends if you can deal having a vehicle that has no shine what so ever. Mine is rattle canned flat black because I have about 4 different colors. Hell, my friends called it the "4-tone" because of it. It's a ****ty job, but I'd rather have one bad looking color then 4 different ones. The rattle can black doesn't look to bad, but I'm still working on it. I need to get some very high grit sand paper and go over it again, and put a few coats on.

You'll about the same either way, whether you go with a shiny paint or flat black. I'd vote for something original if you're wanting to stand out, maybe a pearl blue or something of the sort. I've even thought about doing some graphics with flat blue on my vehicle as well.

yeah i was actually thinking a dark metallic blue that is really shiny
i am just really border line
but i have till it warms up to decide cause he wont paint in the winter

yeah i like it
i just need to take of the stupid trim crap over the wheels and crap
and find someone to do that for me

rob from rob and big.. had his taho painted flat white with flat black rims and said it was storm trooper style.. looked pretty awesome actually!

You can't really paint when it's cold. Paint wont set correctly!

rob from rob and big.. had his taho painted flat white with flat black rims and said it was storm trooper style.. looked pretty awesome actually!

yeah i was goana get flat black rims along with it

lol i feel kinda out of place here where i want my car looking street good while all you guys have your lifts and 31 inch wheels and crap lol

haha don't feel that way. we are all on here because we love our trucks. an explorer is an explorer. I was actually thinking about giving mine the "street look" before I lifted it. If it was 2wd I would have for sure.

the flat black thing also gets called rat rod style. and from what I hear to keep it actually looking good takes a hell of a lot of work

yeah i was goana get flat black rims along with it

lol i feel kinda out of place here where i want my car looking street good while all you guys have your lifts and 31 inch wheels and crap lol

I know what you meant, but have to say this anyway. 31" >wheels< would be MASSIVE. You meant >tires<...aka the rubber not the part you bolt onto the hub. lol:D

There are a bunch of street guys here, but they don't post pics like us off-roaders do for some reason.

And, FYI, oplitic has done this to his mounty. His wheels are even for sale. I say go for it. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228129

l_741ae97e2008ce0c51814db56fa8e8c7.png

I post pictures in my attempt to black out, I won't go flat black because it's too much work, even though I absolutely love the look.

Shipping an option?

just FYI...

Its not the paint thats flat. The base coat is the same as any other color on any normal vehicle. Its the clear coat that is flat. If you just paint it flat black it will have no sheen to it whatsoever, but if you do it right with the flat clear coat, it will have a sheen to it that looks VERY nice.

Flat clear coat? I've never heard of that. Everyone just uses flat black I thought.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just FYI...

Its not the paint thats flat. The base coat is the same as any other color on any normal vehicle. Its the clear coat that is flat. If you just paint it flat black it will have no sheen to it whatsoever, but if you do it right with the flat clear coat, it will have a sheen to it that looks VERY nice.

X2. My dad is a PPG paint rep and I have spoke with him about doing this to my truck.

Back