Big thumps up for Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big thumps up for Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
This shock is excellent! I replaced my monroe reflex shocks today with the Gabriel's and I was pleasantly suprised to find out that not only did the ride improve (especially on rough roads) but the stiffer shock made the handling alot better and took away 50% of my 60 MPH vibration!

I highly recommend this shock. It is a great value at 24 bucks a piece.

As for the Monroe Reflex.......maybe ok for a stock explorer but they were TERRIBLE on mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I couldn't agree more!

I got my VST's two weeks ago and I like them alot. The only (very minute) complaint is that they may be a bit too stiff for my liking. That may be due to the fact that my original shocks were soooooo bad and I am just going through adjustment pains.

How many miles did you have on your Monroes though???

20-25K miles on the Monroe's. I do seem to remember them being better at some point. They may have been good to start out with and gotten gradually worse. But they were never this good, plus they were alot more expensive than the Gabriel's.

I liked mine too Jason, but just wait :(

I have about 15K miles on mine, and it seems they get worse by the mile. It could be that our second car is now an SLS and that's about the best ride on the planet (Source: Edmunds), or it really could be that these shocks are just not doing that well. The truck is my daily driver and every time I go over that one bad interseciton on the way to work, I hit my head harder and harder :(

Oh well, definately can't beat it for the $$!

I installed The gabriel VST Gas Shocks on a 1993 Ford Ranger 4x4 Ex-cab one time. The result was severe vibration and wheel hop over 60mph on the interstate. (that wasn't there before the install) Had to remove them and put the stock shocks back on.

Hmmm...??? The results are varied. I currently also have these shocks on my explorer...... but they have about 100,000 miles on them....... and well.....their shot. (they don't do anything) lots of body sway.

Just my .02

Al

I think VSTs are very good for the money. They just won't last as long as some higher priced shocks. I used to run VSTs and they actually rode better than my Edelbrocks do, but then the VSTs only lasted about 20000 miles. I've had these Ed's on for about 20000 so far and they are doing fine, they are a little stiff but handling is nice.

Back