• Register Today It's free!

Big tires stock wheels

Outdoorsy123

Reaction score
City, State
Powell, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer, XLT
New member here! I’m wanting to keep my stock 2013 wheels but I’m wanting to see what’s the biggest tire I can with the stock wheels. I don’t want any rubbing but I do want my wheels to be aligned with the fender! Thanks for you input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is usually best to post generation specific questions, in the subforum specific to your generation of vehicle, where more owners of that generation will see it.

Do you have 18" or 20" rims? For 18" the largest seems to be 265/60/18, for 20" your size choices are more limited (unless tire manufacturer have recently made more than I'm aware of, assuming you want all terrain tire?) like 265/50/20 is the most common and I've seen one report of running 275/50/20, and here are pictures of that size on a 2011, and a few posts further down in that topic someone states they run 275/55/20 but that may be pushing it and remember that different make/model of tire may have variances in their actual diameter.

You may end up getting replies from two camps, one stating that you shouldn't go over 3% larger diameter, and another camp stating that it's not a a problem as long as it doesn't rub but you may then want to reprogram the speedometer (may only have choice of the largest factory tire offered to get as close as possible to the true vehicle speed)

What do you mean by aligned with the fender? The fender sticks out more on top then slopes inward at the bottom. It is unlikely that any tire wide enough to extend all the way past the fender at the top, won't rub. See the pictures in the topic linked above.

New member here! I’m wanting to keep my stock 2013 wheels but I’m wanting to see what’s the biggest tire I can with the stock wheels. I don’t want any rubbing but I do want my wheels to be aligned with the fender! Thanks for you input!
You'll be better off sticking with Stock Sized Tires to match rims.
You may think the "Super Wide, Mulder, etc. Look Cool, but off roading you get better traction with a narrow tire. With the initial cost of Extemes, $1-4,000, eventual bearing and or housing replacement, more crappy fuel milage on the road, You will see why us old farts stick with stock, unless it's a Race Only Ride

It is usually best to post generation specific questions, in the subforum specific to your generation of vehicle, where more owners of that generation will see it.

Do you have 18" or 20" rims? For 18" the largest seems to be 265/60/18, for 20" your size choices are more limited (unless tire manufacturer have recently made more than I'm aware of, assuming you want all terrain tire?) like 265/50/20 is the most common and I've seen one report of running 275/50/20, and here are pictures of that size on a 2011, and a few posts further down in that topic someone states they run 275/55/20 but that may be pushing it and remember that different make/model of tire may have variances in their actual diameter.

You may end up getting replies from two camps, one stating that you shouldn't go over 3% larger diameter, and another camp stating that it's not a a problem as long as it doesn't rub but you may then want to reprogram the speedometer (may only have choice of the largest factory tire offered to get as close as possible to the true vehicle speed)

What do you mean by aligned with the fender? The fender sticks out more on top then slopes inward at the bottom. It is unlikely that any tire wide enough to extend all the way past the fender at the top, won't rub. See the pictures in the topic linked above.
Sorry mines a 5th Gen with the 18” wheels and what I meant with it being aligned is like with the wheel well and yah I’m looking at getting some Falken Wildpeaks AT3W

You'll be better off sticking with Stock Sized Tires to match rims.
You may think the "Super Wide, Mulder, etc. Look Cool, but off roading you get better traction with a narrow tire. With the initial cost of Extemes, $1-4,000, eventual bearing and or housing replacement, more crappy fuel milage on the road, You will see why us old farts stick with stock, unless it's a Race Only Ride
I won’t be off-roading like crazy, but I’m just looking at something more aggressive

When I went to larger tires on my 00 Ranger 4x4 I went to larger wheels.

^ I could see getting wider wheels if it gets lifted so even larger tires will fit, but the current '13, 18" x 8" wide rims should fall within the acceptable range for any tire that will otherwise fit on the vehicle without a lift unless the desire is only to increase the width, which isn't the direction I'd expect someone to go with an AT tire.

Little bit different on an '00 Ranger where a 16" x 8" was only offered on 265/70R16 factory tires, everything else (most) that came that year were narrower 6/7/7.5" rims.

Back