Big White - Time to install the supercharger. Question about Boost Gauge placement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big White - Time to install the supercharger. Question about Boost Gauge placement

I thought I was bad with the look stock lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought I was bad with the look stock lol
I'm just going to have to do something my way, and then show it. I like subtle, and upgrades.

I’m the opposite. Most stock stuff is garbage to me. I typically start yanking stuff out within a week.

I'm just going to have to do something my way, and then show it. I like subtle, and upgrades.
As I tell my son all the time
The right way is usually the hard way

I'm looking forward to the Wright up
Very interesting

Sorry for my ignorance, but what’s the problem with the stock oil gauge??

Interesting idea - perhaps replace it with the boost gauge out of the lightning with a new black explorer style overlay to match?

If not then on to find someone to give some money $$$$ to hack/hijack the stock DIC to display boost and other supercharger related data points.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what’s the problem with the stock oil gauge??

It's just an ON/OFF gauge, it only registers pressure above a low amount such as 7psi. It would be better to have a light to do the same thing, plus a real full range gauge. That can be done using an older large sending unit, and a slight change to the circuit.

I recall the Supercoupe had a relatively small boost gauge, it might be small enough to fit where the oil pressure is. I don't think it had a black background though.

This is gonna be a good thread

I have one of the last "new" Ford Racing Powerdyne Supercharger kits that was made for the 5.0L Explorer. Should be a post on the truck's facebook page a few years back when I acquired it. BIG WHITE Ford Explorer

So I think this kit runs perhaps 5 or 6 PSI and for now plan to keep it at that point. As some of you may know, the whole vision of the build of my truck that started 7 years ago was to do something as if basically Ford (in 2000) created a trim above Limited that was luxury and performance related - this could be it. So everything I have done is trying to keep as much as a "It looks like it came from the factory like that" look as possible.

If you look at the photo here - 2001_ford_f-150_regular-cab-pickup_svt-lightning_g_oem_1_500 - The Fast Lane Truck

This is the dash for the 2001 F150 Lighting. Similar gauge layout to our Explorers. See the boost gauge from the factory? So I suppose I could take one of these boost gauges and have a new black matching overlay put on it and put it into my cluster. Wonder if that can be made to work? It would look 100% factory. Or do you all have another idea?

Again, would love to be able to use or accomplish something similar to autometers Dash Control that hijacks the factory Driver Information Center (DIC) and outputs gauge data to it.

member Dono had a single pod that was mounted above the radio in the vent. it did block off one vent however. he also had a column mount pod as well. i will try digging threw his old threads and see if he put pictures in.
i however have a a-pillar pod and like it. it is easy to see, the draw back is it blocks the defrost vent in the dash, and i have to fold my visor before i swing it down (made a triple pod)

member Dono had a single pod that was mounted above the radio in the vent. it did block off one vent however. he also had a column mount pod as well. i will try digging threw his old threads and see if he put pictures in.
i however have a a-pillar pod and like it. it is easy to see, the draw back is it blocks the defrost vent in the dash, and i have to fold my visor before i swing it down (made a triple pod)
I've seen the one that goes in the vent on eBay but decided against it as it doesn't fit my "from the factory look" requirement. The column mount is one option I am considering as I can see that Ford "possibly" might have considered such a thing but think they would have most likely defaulted to doing the same thing they did in the early 2000's lighting. I'm also not a big fan of the a-pillar pod look for the same reason.

Thanks for the input....

Have you looked into what might be available for those Lightnings? That cluster is close enough to these Explorers, that likely the same things could be done, including swapping the whole cluster.

Ok everyone - so made some progress. One of the people that I assume was involved in the technology that outputs data from the computer to the factory DIC might be able to come up with a solution to output the datapoints I need to the Ford Explorer DIC that is in my Limited's center console.

Does anyone have the circuit diagrams for the FORD DIC in this truck? Thanks in advance!

This might fit below the temp/oil gauges under the trim panel.
I am too lazy to pull mine look...

This might fit below the temp/oil gauges under the trim panel.
I am too lazy to pull mine look...
Yeah, sound like a cool idea. Like to find one that has the matching green lighting of the rest of the truck.

Anyone have any photos of the factory DIC that is in the center console without all the trim? Trying to see how the screen is designed and how much room might be under the trim piece to put an small LED display while keeping the factory one as well.

So update. Think I found the absolute perfect solution for this problem. It should look extremely like factory match the other digital displays in my explore and be able to display any additional gauge information I desire. Take a look and let me know what you all think.

Thinking about either mounting this embedded in in the trim below the gauge cluster Or more appropriately in the top of the trim surrounding the factory console DIC. It appears that should be perfectly sized in a perfect match for color and style.

That looks very promising, I hope it turns out great.

test.jpg
Here is a very rough markup what the new LCD display should look like. What do you all think? Boost and Fuel Pressure or something different. Many options available. I decided on the 2 X 16 Character display which would fit nicely in the area in my mockup. They also have a larger display but it would be a taller and wider and I think not as OEM looking..

I like it, but the spot I wondered about has the left turn signal arrow in it, to the left of the shift indicator. Where you have it would be great for a couple of data items.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like it, but the spot I wondered about has the left turn signal arrow in it, to the left of the shift indicator. Where you have it would be great for a couple of data items.
I thought about that - but it would really hard to fit something there.

The 2X16 Display I'm using has Dimensions: LCD ~70mm x ~25mm PCB ~80mm x ~35mm

The 1X16 is close to the same. Inside the cluster there is alot of stuff under the overlays - so not alot of room to fit anything I think. See the four minute mark on this video to see all what is under the overlays:

Back