bigger engine or turbo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bigger engine or turbo

Reaction score
City, State
Union NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer eddie baur
well im thinking about getting a bigger engine or turboing my 5.0l 302 v8, i put alot of upgrades into it, but plus side noticing enough new HP, but im almost done with upgrades just need to get torque monster headers on...
im generally around maybe 215HP, but i want more, because soon im going to swap my entire powertrain, and DANA 40's with bigger tires, i dont think this will be enough to get me thouhg holes of mudd,

leave your opinion

thanks
steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally, I think you will have no problem getting through mud holes. You may need to re-gear when you get big tires, but from what I hear, the 5.0 with the TMHs and a tune is a pretty big difference over a stock 5.0. Also look into swapping a 4406 transfer case in for a selectable 4x4 instead of awd. You can put all the power down at the back wheels rather than splitting it front and back. That is a popular mod people like to do.

sounds, go im ordering the tmh's sometime this week and i might get a chip. and then ill think about the transfer swap, and im going to search it now

well im thinking about getting a bigger engine or turboing my 5.0l 302 v8, i put alot of upgrades into it, but plus side noticing enough new HP, but im almost done with upgrades just need to get torque monster headers on...
im generally around maybe 215HP, but i want more, because soon im going to swap my entire powertrain, and DANA 40's with bigger tires, i dont think this will be enough to get me thouhg holes of mudd,

leave your opinion

I have a lot of experience modding the 5.0L V-8. My guess is you are after a broad, flat torque curve more than peak horsepower. For that it is hard to beat a twin screw blower. I had a Kenne Bell twin screw on my Mustang for years and absolutely loved it. It makes a small block feel like a big block on steroids. You will have instantaneous peak boost available at all RPMs and at the blip of the throttle. The last time I had the car on a dyno it made 460 ft-lbs at the rear wheels at 2,300 rpm. The torque curve was flat as Nebraska to redline. Add a water injection system to control detonation and you can run boost up to the point you will lift the heads off the block. I ran as high as 16 psi but I would recommend no more than 12 psi.

If you really want to get the most from a Kenne Bell then port the heads, intake, add a huge MAF/TB, headers, 2.5" exhaust and you will have a torque monster on your hands. I installed a six speed manual in my car. I could be at 2,500 rpm in third gear and mashing the throttle to the floor would melt the tires into the pavement. The really nice thing about the Kenne Bells is the power is easily modulated with the throttle. This isn't always the case with a centrifugal blower and turbos.

Also the installation of the Kenne Bells on 5.0L engines is simple. I could remove the one from my car in 30 minutes and reinstall it in 45 minutes. It will likely fit under the stock hood too.

Blowzilla-FlowzillaParts.jpg

engine3a.jpg

Kenne Bell makes kits for many vehicles. The bracket in the picture I posted is the key along with snout lenth. On the Mustang it rotates the A/C compressor to make room for the blower snout. Then a belt of the proper length is used. It is really one of the simplest blowers to install. Basically, take off the upper intake and replace it with the blower. Also, the typical things like AFPR etc. are needed as they are with most force induction systems. Kenne Bell sells complete kits with everything included. I recommend getting the Flowzilla manifolds. Also, used kits are on the market but one needs to make sure they fit the vehicle. Proper snout length of the blower is critical for the drive pulley to line up properly. After that parts can be fabricated or ordered from Kenne Bell.

low engine speed torque increase

I agree with 94Eddie that a positive displacement supercharger is an excellent means to significantly increase torque at low to midrange engine speeds. Replacing a 5.0L with a 5.8L is another approach but there are just too many significant problems to overcome (custom oil pan, motor mounts, synchronizer & trigger wheel). Stroking and boring a 5.0L to 347 cu. in. is less difficult technically but is fairly expensive (new rotating assembly and block machining) and still requires a custom harmonic balancer because the stroker kits are for 28 oz external balance instead of the Explorer 50 oz. A supercharger such as the Kenne Bell may be a comparably expensive solution but I'm not aware of any kits currently available for the 2nd generation Explorer so a custom installation is still required.

its looks great, but im not a sc type of a guy, im thinking of gettin a 460 small block, commonly known as the man o' war, straight motor is 600 hp, and the only down side is that its a carb

its looks great, but im not a sc type of a guy,

You would be the first time you mash the peddle with that KB under the hood. ;) You would swear there is a built 460 under the hood. I would bet it will give you more torque from idle to 3,000 rpm than a 460. I made 460 ft-lbs at the rear wheels at 2,300 rpm and it never dropped below 420 ft-lbs to 6,000 rpm.

Kenne Bell makes kits for many vehicles. The bracket in the picture I posted is the key along with snout lenth. On the Mustang it rotates the A/C compressor to make room for the blower snout. Then a belt of the proper length is used. It is really one of the simplest blowers to install. Basically, take off the upper intake and replace it with the blower. Also, the typical things like AFPR etc. are needed as they are with most force induction systems. Kenne Bell sells complete kits with everything included. I recommend getting the Flowzilla manifolds. Also, used kits are on the market but one needs to make sure they fit the vehicle. Proper snout length of the blower is critical for the drive pulley to line up properly. After that parts can be fabricated or ordered from Kenne Bell.

Unless I am mistaken, explorer and mustang "snout length" are different. The blower snout would need to be shortened to line up with the explorer accessories

Link me to the explorer "kit"

I can show you Explorers with all kinds of neat things done to them, the point is a kenne bell will be a full custom installation. It will be trickier than you think--

Have you built on a 5.0 explorer?

It isn't rocket science to put a KB on a 5.0L Explorer. The 5.0L block is the same one used in the Fox body Mustangs. In fact the Explorer 5.0L engines have the Cobra upper and lower intakes installed from the factory. The worst I can see is a possible conflict with the coil pack. Or maybe an accessory drive swap with a Mustang 5.0L. Also, the OP could just get a Mustang 5.0L short block and take the heads and lower intake from the Explorer motor. This route is far less difficult, IMO, than installing a big block engine.

As for your question, I have built plenty of 5.0L engines. It isn't much different whether it sits in an Explorer or a Mustang. If the OP can complete a big block engine swap, then installing a KB on the stock Explorer 5.0L motor should be no problem for him. How many KBs have you installed on 5.0L engines?

It isn't rocket science to put a KB on a 5.0L Explorer. The 5.0L block is the same one used in the Fox body Mustangs. In fact the Explorer 5.0L engines have the Cobra upper and lower intakes installed from the factory. The worst I can see is a possible conflict with the coil pack. Or maybe an accessory drive swap with a Mustang 5.0L. Also, the OP could just get a Mustang 5.0L short block and take the heads and lower intake from the Explorer motor. This route is far less difficult, IMO, than installing a big block engine.

As for your question, I have built plenty of 5.0L engines. It isn't much different whether it sits in an Explorer or a Mustang. If the OP can complete a big block engine swap, then installing a KB on the stock Explorer 5.0L motor should be no problem for him. How many KBs have you installed on 5.0L engines?

So, you haven't built an explorer5.0.

I rest my case. It is a world of difference my friend. hell, for one no mustang 5.0 ever had a cam sensor, or, coil packs.
How are you going to provide egr? What about the throttle cable relocation. easy enough if you can do without a cruise control I gues-
Balancer? where are you going to put the coil packs?

I have fitted a mustang style engine in an explorer and can tell you you have some learning to do.

also, the snout is too long as I said before.

So, you haven't built an explorer5.0.

I rest my case. It is a world of difference my friend. hell, for one no mustang 5.0 ever had a cam sensor, or, coil packs.
How are you going to provide egr? What about the throttle cable relocation. easy enough if you can do without a cruise control I gues-
Balancer? where are you going to put the coil packs?

I have fitted a mustang style engine in an explorer and can tell you you have some learning to do.

also, the snout is too long as I said before.

Have you installed a KB on a 5.0L period? If not then you too have some learning to do before making blanket statements. Do you know the offset of the accessory drive train on a Mustang and Explorer 5.0L? If the OP is looking to install a big block then I am sure he can handle the minor issues of a KB installation. Do you know if the coil packs actually interfere with the blower?

Why do you feel the need to turn this thread into a chest pounding contest? The OP asked a question and we all gave an answer. Just because you don't like an answer is no reason to cop an attitude. No suggestion I have seen in this thread is impossible, or improbable, to accomplish.

Have you installed a KB on a 5.0L period? If not then you too have some learning to do before making blanket statements. Do you know the offset of the accessory drive train on a Mustang and Explorer 5.0L? If the OP is looking to install a big block then I am sure he can handle the minor issues of a KB installation. Do you know if the coil packs actually interfere with the blower?

Why do you feel the need to turn this thread into a chest pounding contest? The OP asked a question and we all gave an answer. Just because you don't like an answer is no reason to cop an attitude. No suggestion I have seen in this thread is impossible, or improbable, to accomplish.

Then don't suggest something like this as "easy"

You provided a link to a video of a 5.0 in a 91 with a distrubutor. Both our points have merits true, however, why do I not see a kenne bell blower on a 5.0 explorer anywhere on this site? With all the fabrication madness going around, why hasn't it been accomplished already if it is so easy?

The explorer front dress is offset from mustang. Explorer is tucked in about 1 5/8" closer to the engine. IIRC

I dont like any of the answers provided - so I'm going to provide my own :)

Look into a low-range if torque is whats needed. If you are just spinning tires in the mud, then get tires more suitable for the situation.

Then don't suggest something like this as "easy"

Easy is a relative term. You may not think it is easy but others might think otherwise. The fact is you don't if it is easy, or not. The guy asked a question and got some answers. Let the OP determine what is easy for him. If he doesn't go the blower route it won't hurt my feelings in the least. I can say with pretty much confidence that installing a KB on a 5.0L Explorer is easier than installing a big block engine.

You provided a link to a video of a 5.0 in a 91 with a distrubutor. Both our points have merits true, however, why do I not see a kenne bell blower on a 5.0 explorer anywhere on this site? With all the fabrication madness going around, why hasn't it been accomplished already if it is so easy?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236947
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210882&highlight=Kenne+Bell
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265885&highlight=Kenne+Bell

I found these is less than two minutes. There are a ton more possibilities as a KB search turned up almost 250 threads. I'm not going to scan all those threads. There looks to be a lot of interest in the subject at the least.

The explorer front dress is offset from mustang. Explorer is tucked in about 1 5/8" closer to the engine. IIRC

There are several ways to get around accessory drive conflicts. Especially if an electric fan is used. I modified the belt pattern by adding an idler pulley on my Mustang in an afternoon to get more belt wrap on the 16 psi blower pulley. Like I said, this isn't rocket science. Especially for a guy that can do a big block swap in a 2nd gen Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont like any of the answers provided - so I'm going to provide my own :)

Look into a low-range if torque is whats needed. If you are just spinning tires in the mud, then get tires more suitable for the situation.

Good suggestion if he just wants more grunt at low speeds.

Back