bigger power steering fluid cooler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bigger power steering fluid cooler?

Ranger379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
has anyone upgraded to a larger power streering fluid cooler? mainly due to bigger tires? the stock cooler is rather small. i can imagine the fluid gets rather hot when i move my trailer around, turning the wheel all the way one way, then all the way the other way. as well as in town driving im sure. just curious as to what anyone else may think about it :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rather puny to cool fluid that has to turn big tires

The stock cooler with some high quality fully synthetic power steering (transmission) fluid should be more than enough to keep everything cool.

Most power steering coolers ive seen are actually smaller than the explorers. A lot of cars done even have them.

Another thing you could try is an inline filter on the low pressure side. That will help cool and filter.

The stock cooler with some high quality fully synthetic power steering (transmission) fluid should be more than enough to keep everything cool.

Most power steering coolers ive seen are actually smaller than the explorers. A lot of cars done even have them.

Another thing you could try is an inline filter on the low pressure side. That will help cool and filter.

o ok, just a thought. i know after i lifted my 96 and put on my 32's it started leaking PS fluid lol id have to fill it up every few days. with my 99 it whines when u turn the wheel, louder than it did with the stock ones.

so a filter would be a better idea? that would allow more fluid too

Use a high quality synthetic PS fluid.

i always use high quality fully synthetic everything :thumbsup: just havent needed to fill the PS yet. what is the best way to change the fluid? remove the bottom line from the cooler?

Back