Bigger tires affect ABS.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bigger tires affect ABS....

I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine and he said if I put bigger tires on my 99 explorer it will mess up the way my ABS performs. Because my ABS was calibrated to the stock size tires. I told him that everyone here must have ABS and bigger tires and have had no problems... What affect if any did anyone have with their ABS with bigger tires. Or is he just an overprotective mechanic.??? I think he is full of it, but I told him I would ask here to see the real deal. Thanks,

------------------
Greengoose.
www.geocities.com/Baja/Ravine/4202/index.html
FORD= Fantastic Off Road Driving

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does having bigger tires affect my ABS?
aah NO!
I have 31's and commute 160 miles a day over a mountian and back. I also take my 97XLT off-roading and the ABS still works just like it supposed to, although i wish it wouldn't when I'm 4wheeling down a nasty hill. Hope this helps

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Ray,

Yank the fuse next time you go wheelin'.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Paul,
Thanks for the tip! I'll try that next time I go. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

I gotta agree with Ray that your mechanic friend is feeding you hooey, though I haven't gone oversize yet. (And if he's serious, I might carefully consider using someone else next time your Explorer needs work).

I have an extremely hard time believing that an ABS sensor can tell what size tire you're running! Now just exactly how could it tell, hmmm? If you mix different sizes at the same time, sure it will. But if all four are the same size I would not only be amazed that it could tell, but would be interested in knowing how it did it.

If I am wrong I bet one of our 870+ members will educate us both real quick, right Greengoose?...

Gerald

For what it's worth, the service dept guys at my local ford dealer told me the same thing about the ABS. maybe there is some truth to it, who knows?

Alex
'97 XLT

I think there may potentially a problem, but not necessarily. I have known people to disconnect theirs because after putting on larger tires tapping the brack seems to cause them to lock up. When I was running 32s (doesn't make sense to me either) the truck would sometimes skid when I first started it up cold and got moving. The first light or turn or stop sign my truck would skid to a stop. I saw valets do it to my truck on multiple occasions when bringing me my truck. Hasn't done it in a long time and as a matter of fact not since I went to 33s. Believe me I know it doesn't follow logic, but I never went in to fix anything and it stopped doing it. Just FYI, don't mean it to make any sense.

OK then,

what would be the difference & how would it know the difference, if you run 235/75/15 @ 80mph or run 31x10.50's @ 40mph..... ask the mechanic that one!!!!

If it REALLY affects the ABS, then I suppose our vehicles should only run at 1 speed!!!!!

If for some reason it does affect, then I would like a FULL explanation...please.

First I want to thank everyone for their responses. I brought my mechanic friend over to read all of your posts. He then went and called Fords SVT hotline...(he has a mustang cobra so he has special number) The FORD mechanic said that the new generation ABS uses a sensor on the rear axle and something similiar on the drives up front. And using a bigger tire should NOT affect your ABS. He didnt elaborate on the older style ABS. So there may be a little truth to something on the older ones, but I dont think so....I will post some more info if I find out something more.

------------------
Greengoose.
www.geocities.com/Baja/Ravine/4202/index.html
FORD= Fantastic Off Road Driving

just putting this on top of the page for RYAN

------------------
92EB
Some days you get to be the Statue,
Some days you get to be the Pigeon!!

Thanks velcrofly......the mechanic that i was talking to wasn't the sharpest Knife in the drawer.

He was totally set the If I oversized my tires even by one size.......my ABS would go out and would screw up all the braking system

But this is comming from a guy that named his pet gold fish fluffy

thanks for the info boys
Ryan

94 Explorer 4.0 auto tranny

I sure hope you are right about larger tires not affecting the ABS. I went to buy 31x10.5's today and the guy at the tire shop gave me the runaround about the ABS. He said there is some kind of gear in there that senses the number of wheel rotations and that larger tires would screw this up, ultimately causing it to lock up under heavy braking. He even went so far as to claim he had this happen to him peronally on a Ranger. He insinuated that it was an easy fix accomplished by swapping out this gear, but I didn't get full details on that because I wanted to reread these discussions.

Someone please reassure me about this because I am having the tires put on tomorrow morning.

------------------
Brian Corff
corff@colorado.edu
'95 XLT 4x4 V6

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you suck forever.

My '93 Explorer has had larger tires since it had only 500 miles. It now has 129,000. There has not been any problem with the ABS since adding the larger tires. I didn't have to modify anything in the ABS system either.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

I talked with a friend of mine (The one that has been working on Cars longer than I have been alive) and the only thing he could think of is if you have 4 wheel ABS and you put different sized tires front/rear that you would confuse the heck out of the computer. He has a lot of experience running different size front/rear tires (he never gets off-road) and the rule of thumb he uses which seems to work fine is keep the height difference between front/rear to 1/16" or less. Other than that the ABS doesn't care what size the tire is.. just as long as it is still spinning.

I talked with a few 4x friendly shops down here and they are all in agreement, to the point where they say it shouldn't effect it but they won't say "it won't".. It sounded like a tech support call to a computer company.. they just don't have the words "it will work" or "it won't hurt" in their vocabulary.. they seem to always use "it should work" or "it shound't hurt"..

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Well, I went ahead and put the 31x10.5's on this morning. All the while, the guy at the shop told me I was going to have problems like he did on his Ranger. I did some field testing on my way home (read: I slammed on the brakes a few times) and the ABS seems to work fine. Hope so. Thanks for your reassurance. I love the ride, feel, and look of my new tires (BFG AT KO's). The true performance test will be tomorrow.

------------------
Brian Corff
corff@colorado.edu
'95 XLT 4x4 V6

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you suck forever.

As I understand the function of ABS, it works like this:

A speed sensor on the axle for each wheel tells the computer what the wheel is doing. If the wheel stops turning while braking, the system pulses the brakes to keep the wheel spinning untill all 4 wheels stop or you release the brake pedal. This sensor is magnetic as far as I know. The computer doesn't care what tire you have. It deals with each wheel on an individual basis.

This is how I understand it.

Running bigger tires on the older (94) Explorers will have an effect on the ABS, because my truck would not stop very well after I went to 32's and 411 gears. The ABS system uses the speedometer to tell how fast the vehicle is running, then adjusts the amount of braking it think it needs to slow. When you change the tire size and gear ratio, it gets all messed up. Since my truck's speedo was off by over 15 mph, I had it adjusted with a new speedometer gear (19 teeth) and it works great now. And pulling the fuse when you go off roading is a great idea, but I put mine on a switch so I don't wear the fuse plug out from repeated use. I got this information from personal experience, a mech. at Cepek, and one from Ford. The speedo fix was done by San Diego Speedo Tac for $110.00.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since you went to lower gears to bring the power back to near stock w/ the bigger tires you corrected most of the speedo error. And how did you come across the 15mph over the reading?
I only ask because I have 33's and 3.55 gearing and my speedo error is only 8 mph @ 65 mph. That means that you w/ 32s and 4.10s should have been at around 5mph diff. Before the speedo gear! I am not getting a speedo gear because I am putting in 4.56 gears in April and that should bring the speedo back to almost stock.

Also on the older Explorers the ABS shuts off when the 4x4 is engaged. I have a 91' and it says in the manual the ABS doesn't work in 4x4.

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s
"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

I beleive I had talked to someone before (Might have been Andrew B about a subject like this before. I heard that the ABS worked with (This information is for 95+) Control Trac 4wd system. The sensors that sensed slip in the wheels and switched power to an alternative axle. I heard that there should be no problems as long as all the tires were the same size (Upgrade spare with the rest of your tires). I have heard that if you go to very large tires, that there may be some computer systems that have to be upgraded. I'm not 100 percent on all this information, I hope that it can gave some new insight....I'll keep watching this post.

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Ford Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 92 explorer with oversized tires and a 98 eb with 32x11.5 on it the 92 has ran oversized tire for 142,968 miles and the 98 just for about a hundred miles and niether one of them have messed up .

Back