Bigger tires more or less air?

sze kan

Reaction score
City, State
Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5L V6
Hi all,
My car recommends 35 pressure for all 4 tires which are 255/50/20. However due to stock problems, I went for 265/50/20.
Shall I be putting the same 35 pressure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There shouldn’t be an issue. Air pressure only matters for things load bearing capacity and PSI is pounds per square inch so theoretically you would have the same pressure but more air in your bigger tires which will in turn bear the load of the vehicle just as well as the previous.

Air pressure is usually played with for either softer ride or more load carrying capacity. Lower air pressure means less load carrying capacity but softer ride. The opposite is for harsher ride but better load carrying capacity, and also better fuel economy.

www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1407-understanding-tire-load-ratings/

....... However due to stock problems, I went for 265/50/20........
Did you mean to say 'shock' problems?? If so, what kind of problem? Not sure how a slightly wider tire would cure any issues with the shocks. They will likely increase roll resistance a little which could result in slightly lower gas mileage.

Peter

Did you mean to say 'shock' problems?? If so, what kind of problem? Not sure how a slightly wider tire would cure any issues with the shocks. They will likely increase roll resistance a little which could result in slightly lower gas mileage.

Peter

sorry for not being clear, the retailer had some stock issues with the Hankook tires, so i had to go for 265/50/20.
i have tried 32 pressure, 35 and 37.. very slight difference between them.. However i did notice that the Max load on my tires are way less than the car itself....
the tires says Max load 1300 Kgs... whereas the are itself is 1800kg?

sorry for not being clear, the retailer had some stock issues with the Hankook tires, so i had to go for 265/50/20.
i have tried 32 pressure, 35 and 37.. very slight difference between them.. However i did notice that the Max load on my tires are way less than the car itself....
the tires says Max load 1300 Kgs... whereas the are itself is 1800kg?
Okay, I understand now about the "stock". I found the info below that might be helpful.

If a passenger car performance tire is selected to replace an original equipment light truck tire on an SUV, the new tire must meet or exceed the requirement for the specific vehicle weight.
In order to roughly determine the load capacity for each individual tire, take the vehicle’s gross weight and divide by four. If the vehicle gross weight is 4,500 lbs., each tire should be able to safely support at least 1,125 lbs.
However, the gross vehicle weight does not take additional load, such as the weight of the driver, into account. So you should never select a tire that only meets this minimum weight capability.

How to Determine Tire Load Ratings - Article - Work Truck

Peter

GROSS vehicle weight means just that. The maximum the vehicle is allowed to weigh with all occupants, fuel and baggage and whatever else you have in it. NET vehicle weight is the unladen vehicle, no driver, no passengers no baggage.

The question is.. what does it say to use on the side of the tire? I start from there an make any decision for higher/lower etc.

Back