• Register Today It's free!

Biggest suspension lift?

offroadLAX

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT
Ok so I was lookin around for a suspension lift for my 99 X... All I could find was this...
http://superlift.com/Catalog.asp?P=K494
but thats only 4"... does another know where I could find a bigger lift, jus for the front, other than 4"?:salute:

Dont take this for %100 accuracy. But i THINK that once you go past that 4 inch lift you have dump you IFS up front and put in a solid axle. I know bronco2guy has a nice lifted explorer, not sure what year, but hes got some James Duff suspension parts on his that has seemed to hold up quite well so far.

Under the description of the lift it says this...
"The newest Explorer / Sport Trac is a smaller version of the 1997-2003 Ford F-150 with torsion bars and upper / lower control arms. Like the F-150, the cast nodular iron knuckles are the system's key. Ride Quality & Lift Height One key difference with the mid-size Ford, however, is the odd tulip-style driveshaft used for the front differential. We have found that these driveshafts wear rapidly after the vehicle is lifted and cause vibration over time. Expect the OE front driveshaft to last no more than 20,000 miles after the vehicle is lifted. Therefore, Superlift offers a heavy-duty replacement front driveshaft that incorporates a standard CV joint at the transfer case for improved durability and longevity."
Is that what you were talking about?:salute:

RCD used to make 5" lift kit for them that replaced the torsion bars with coilovers. I heard a rumor that it was discontinued though.

The drive shaft issue I think, is that it is too short...

You can always put a body lift on there as well... Theoretically I think it would be possible to stack the superlift and trailmaster 4" suspension lifts but I would strongly discourage it... plus it would be pretty expensive for little reward since your torsion bar drop brackets would be a major hangup.

Bottom line is, if you want more than 4" suspension you will need to swap to a solid axle. which probably wouldn't cost that much more than a new superlift kit.

Back