• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

biggest tires for explorer cv axle

FORD-BRO

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala
Year, Model & Trim Level
0000 FORD VEHICLE XLT
good morning, I've been having trouble searching for the biggest tires that the cv axles can handle. I want to run 35x10.5 or 12.5 with a mostly stock engine. thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
It’ll run them but you will eat through front end parts, and bearings at an alarming rate. It’s also hard on the wimpy transmissions in these.

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
It’ll run them but you will eat through front end parts, and bearings at an alarming rate. It’s also hard on the wimpy transmissions in these.
Ah, now for the reverse question - I've been thinking of getting smaller tires when these P235/75/15s wear out (no hurry!) Like P225/75/15 (I'm guessing P215 would be too small). Would have to check if the same wheels would work for the downsize. I realize the speedo would be 2% faster than actual MPH. But would it make any serious difference to the rest of my Ex? Note, I don't do towing or off-road (so far, LOL)

FORD-BRO

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala
Year, Model & Trim Level
0000 FORD VEHICLE XLT
It’ll run them but you will eat through front end parts, and bearings at an alarming rate. It’s also hard on the wimpy transmissions in theseSo
So, in general the steering, suspension and drive chain could probably handle 33's you think? with regearing of course.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Ah, now for the reverse question - I've been thinking of getting smaller tires when these P235/75/15s wear out (no hurry!) Like P225/75/15 (I'm guessing P215 would be too small). Would have to check if the same wheels would work for the downsize. I realize the speedo would be 2% faster than actual MPH. But would it make any serious difference to the rest of my Ex? Note, I don't do towing or off-road (so far, LOL)
It’ll be fine. It’ll be easier on everything, weight and force wise. Your RPMs will be slightly higher. I ran 225/65-15s on my previous mountaineer. Handled great for a 2nd Gen mountaineer.

Ryan Rives

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
good morning, I've been having trouble searching for the biggest tires that the cv axles can handle. I want to run 35x10.5 or 12.5 with a mostly stock engine. thanks,
I haven’t ever had any problems with my axles, I’m running 35x12.5s

06B16330-AFD9-4862-A8A2-F55777F48652.jpeg