• Register Today It's free!

Biggest tires????

Weekend Toy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Haven, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT
What is the biggest tire I can run on a stock 94 Explorer? I want to be able to stick the biggest tire I can in the wheel well without giving up much turn radius.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told anything bigger than a 30 I would need spacers.

Well whoever told you lied. 31's fit

31 mud tires rub just a little on mine at full lock either way

Were all talking about these tire sizes on a stock set up, correct?

yes, stock, almost all 31's fit almost all 1st gen Explorers like 31's should have come stock. I haven't done it yet, but it's been confimed 100's of times on here. There are certain truck/tire combo's that have a bit of trouble, but in almost all cases it's a perfect fit.

For the most part you might run into trouble with trucks with badly saging springs or with tires that are bigger then 31" because of extra tread (extreme mud tires)

Great question. I can't believe it hasn't been asked in the 19 years the Explorer has been on the road.

Yep. Here is 31x12x15 mud tires on my stock Exploder. Just barely Rubs the inner fender and full lock. The 31x10.50x15 BFG AT's I had didnt rub at all.

tires5.jpg

I have an 03 xlt and am looking to put mud tires on it similar to the pick above. I was thinking a pair of 32" on american racing rims... does this work? I also want to add spacers. Are 2/3" spacers made or is it better to go with a 1/1.5" spacer and add a wider tire... I took this "idea" to les schwab to ask the guy and he said the major issue with a car like this is that the front tires are mounted closer to the body of the car than the back ones vs. my 99 suburban which he said is a much easier process... anythings helps I'm obviously new to this gig...

I have an 03 xlt and am looking to put mud tires on it similar to the pick above. I was thinking a pair of 32" on american racing rims... does this work? I also want to add spacers. Are 2/3" spacers made or is it better to go with a 1/1.5" spacer and add a wider tire... I took this "idea" to les schwab to ask the guy and he said the major issue with a car like this is that the front tires are mounted closer to the body of the car than the back ones vs. my 99 suburban which he said is a much easier process... anythings helps I'm obviously new to this gig...

I'd tell you to search, but you obviously did, since you pulled up a thread this old. Why don't you try reading the thread IZwack linked a few posts above. It answers your question about tires. They do make 2" spacers, but not 3".

without spacers i can do 32x10.5 according to "IZwack" I would most likely go with 31" mud tires and I want american racing ar767. I'v found that the bolt pattern on my 03 explorer is 5 on 4.5. My question is how wide to I want to go with the wheels, and what size is best? I want to go as wide as possible (a 15"x10" wheel) but is that going to rub the wheel well without a lift or spacers? What would be the best rim (http://www.4wheelparts.com/partlists.aspx?plID=101298&catID=11&subCat=209&ptID=101007) for an 03 xlt standard config?

Back