Bike Racks, Roof and Hitch mounts | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bike Racks, Roof and Hitch mounts

I'm partial to the BVG swing out rack. Can have up to 4 bikes on it and it swings out of the way to open the rear. Or with the snow board adapter it carries 2 bikes and 4 snowboards at the same time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't want to hang my carbon bikes by the top tube like on the Apex 5. I like the racks like mine that hold the wheels. I am also getting the extension so I can carry 4 bikes.

The Kuat is really nice too, but a bit more expensive and the place I went didn't have it in stock. I'm happy with the Thule thus far though.

I didn't want to hang my carbon bikes by the top tube like on the Apex 5. I like the racks like mine that hold the wheels. I am also getting the extension so I can carry 4 bikes.

The Kuat is really nice too, but a bit more expensive and the place I went didn't have it in stock. I'm happy with the Thule thus far though.
mine is partial carbon and no issues and I have to use the kit to carry ine because I can't use the top tube
i not fan on wheel mounts they are too bulky

dang looks awesome

I got the 2 bike add-on, so I can carry 4 bikes now. :)

F7B-9D1FAAC7EDA3-5301-00000506F45D1A38_zpsaf3e9354.jpg

832F-FDA8123A50B1-421-00000046A6245FA0_zpsaaf628f6.jpg

9187-F7FA60842783-421-00000046B9E71BC0_zpsdec2b73d.jpg

Do you need to have the towing package to use that type of bike rack or can it connect without it?

nice, im gonna pick one up later this year

I was just looking at racks for my cannondale.

I need room for 3 bikes, but really like the idea of the swing out racks.
My budget is too low to get a 3+ rack that holds the wheels.

I do alot of racing and I am keen to geting into the back with out taking bikes off.
I too was looking at the apex or vertex.

I got the 2 bike add-on, so I can carry 4 bikes now. :)

F7B-9D1FAAC7EDA3-5301-00000506F45D1A38_zpsaf3e9354.jpg

Nice set up The Cheat. I have a T2 as well on mine for my DH bikes. I was wondering, do you keep your rack on at all times? Seems to make the rear view camera and the object sensor almost useless. I keep turning off the reverse aid warning, but it seems to always turn back on the next time I start my Ex. Anyone else using a bike hitch rack? What do you do?

I ended up with the T2 rack. Sooo much nicer then the hanger racks.

SocalFyre, yes, the backup camera is blocked - I leave mine on a lot, but the wife doesn't like it on. It's a constant battle with her, but it's very easy to remove and install. I have not found a way to keep the backup sensors off for more than that drive. They come back on when you key cycle.

I've had the rack now for a month or so with multiple uses a week and it's been great. Very happy.

SocalFyre, yes, the backup camera is blocked - I leave mine on a lot, but the wife doesn't like it on. It's a constant battle with her, but it's very easy to remove and install. I have not found a way to keep the backup sensors off for more than that drive. They come back on when you key cycle.

I've had the rack now for a month or so with multiple uses a week and it's been great. Very happy.

That's exactly why I was asking! The wife hates that the rear cam and sensors are pretty much useless with it on and she doesn't even drive it. I'm at the local trails at least 3-4 times a week and I think it would be a hassle t o keep taking it on an off unless I find a quick release hitch pin(that locks) instead of ratcheting the Thule one off. I haven't looked for a pin yet but I'm hoping there's one out there. Right now I'm using the rack during the week with just the one tray on which gives the camera a much better view.

@Machine - The T2 is a great rack, a little heavier than others like it but for the price and the solid build. If I had the funds I would of gotten the 1UpUSA rack.

I already got the "well it doesnt need to be on all the time, right?" talk. It is a bother blocking the camera and all, so in the mind of safty for the EX, I will take it off when not using it so she doesnt hit anything .

2013 Roof Bike Rack Options

Greetings all. We have a 2013 XLT and we are going to be MTB riding a lot this summer. I am running through the options for a roof mounted bike rack. So far this is what I've come up with:

Option 1

Thule 450R Rapid Crossroad Base
450R_ARB_oc_sized_860x555.jpg

Thule ARB60 60 in AeroBlade Load Bars
Aeroblade_main_sized_860x555.jpg

Thule 594XT Sidearm Bike Rack
594XT_oc_sized_860x555.jpg

Option 2

OEM Crossbars
7T4Z-7855100-BA-2.jpg

594XT Sidearm Bike Rack
594XT_oc_sized_860x555.jpg

By using the OEM crossbars, I would save about $140 and be able to keep a flush OEM look. However, from what I have read on the Forum, people have been saying that the OEM crossbars have a bit o flex to them. Additionally, they create enough noise and buffeting that the roof seems to vibrate.

Has anyone had any issues with the OEM crossbars with noise/vibration and or fitment with Thule bike racks? I know the easier and cheaper way would be to get a hitch mount, but I really would like to avoid that route.

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated.

Do you have the towing package so you have a hitch?

I second the hitch racks - the roof mounted ones take so much more time to install/remove bikes from. With the hitch racks, you can usually mount two bikes in just a few seconds and be on your way.

we use both: roof mounted and hitch mounted.
On the roof we use yakima lowrider with round bars. works great!

Do you have the towing package so you have a hitch?

I'm considering a hitch mounted bike rack, but you don't mention details about manufacture or model. Does the one you have include locks? (and do the locks seriously secure them or do you need secondary locks to prevent things like wheel theft? Do you still have some kind of access to the trunk? Does it fold out of the way when there's nothing on it?

I'm considering a hitch mounted bike rack, but you don't mention details about manufacture or model. Does the one you have include locks? (and do the locks seriously secure them or do you need secondary locks to prevent things like wheel theft? Do you still have some kind of access to the trunk? Does it fold out of the way when there's nothing on it?

I use the Yakima Swingdaddy and love it. It swings out of the way with all the bikes on it so i have access to the trunk. It includes a small cable lock, but its not that big, just to keep honest people honest. You would probably want a heavy duty lock if you were worried about theft. It says it fits 4 bikes but thats tight. I'm sure you could get 4 bikes on there with some time and careful arrangement.

I got it on a lightning deal for $200 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-SwingD...=1376572815&sr=8-1&keywords=yakima+swingdaddy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hitch mounted bike rack/carrier

I'm looking for feedback about hitch mounted bike racks (for 4 bikes) to put on a 2013 Explorer Sport. Right now, I've seen a Thule, but am also considering a Yakima. Which manufacturer/model do you have and what do you see as the pros/cons? Can you access the trunk with the bikes loaded? What swung your purchase decision if you were looking at several models? What size trailer hitch do you need - does the factory installed one work or do you need an aftermarket? Thanks in advance.

Back