Billet Grille Wont Stop Chipping!

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
So I painted my billet grille black a while back and I have ended up painting it a few times now. :mad: IT JUST WON'T STOP CHIPPING!!!!! It irritates me, because I do good work and it wont last. Can anyone help me out with a solution. I am using etching primer, gloss black paint, and clear coat. And it keeps chipping in one spot! I'm tempted to go back to a stock grille...

Thanks in advance,
Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is it chipping? and what layer is chipping? perhaps a rougher grit sanding might help paint adhesion. If the grill is ally billet(not sure of what theyre made of,I've never seen one) you could take it down to be powder coated. If you get them to run it through when theyre painting other items the same colour it may be cost effective?

intakefinished.jpg

Upper right corner you can see in this picture where it chipped.

if your bonnet is rubbing on your grill maybe you could place rubber or foam thats backed with tape underneath so it isnt metal on metal?

Its an idea, but not sure if thats the culprit. May be one of the causes of it.
I'm going to make a trip to the parts store, get some clear coat, and sand this grille down until the whole thing is scratched up and paint it let it cure for a few hours and get up early tomorrow morn and finish it.

the other option i can think of is to taper that edge off and mirror it on the other side where its not rubbing (just so it doesnt stick out like dog balls and piss you off) shouldnt really be TOO noticable.

youre intake looks awesome still

check for a paint thats got some flex in it (if they have any) that might help if movement is causing the chipping?

I'd PM Turdle and see about getting it powdercoated;) If I ever pick up a grill, I'm sending it to him.

Nate, have it powder coated. That will solve your problem!

I've thought about powdercoating it, but I don't think I'd have the money for it... Thats why I went the paint route in the first place. I purchased a different kind of clear coat, see how that works. I went with an automotive one even though it cost a few pennies more.

I've thought about powdercoating it, but I don't think I'd have the money for it... Thats why I went the paint route in the first place. I purchased a different kind of clear coat, see how that works. I went with an automotive one even though it cost a few pennies more.

I'm sure it wouldn't cost much more than it's costing you to maintain your painted grill? Never know till you ask...

Like everyone, I have to get used to your name change;)

Good luck

Gave it a good several coats of clear coat,let it dry overnight and should be good to go! :)

do what i did...get it powder coated by turtle and call it good. mine still looks BRAND new after 4 or 5 months and its been hit by rocks and the likes...good stuff.

with out the grill just bung in some mesh until yours is powder coated.or a small square (furniture leg stopper, looks like a square of chocolate!hope you know what i mean) you can get them in black, one on each side right where she rubs. bobs your uncle, fixed for $1-00

I did send off a PM to turdle. Maybe for the new year I can get this done :) And what would I do without a grille for the time its being powder coated????? :rolleyes:

Easy. You'll be ballin'

funny_Car_82.jpg

how long did you wait in between coats. the longer the better. Mine is the same way i painted it black and it chips in the same spot. Mine also has little chips from highway and rocks being hit up. i painted mine a couple times as well. the last time i did a couple coats one day giving at least an hour in between even though it said fast dry then waited another day and hit again with more coats, then hit it with uv resistant clear coat. Now i notice if it chips its only one layer of the black not all of it.. hope this helps it did for me-except the top part which is enevitable doesnt bother me much.

5 minutes isnt enough time , it said it on my can also, i always triple the time they recommend when painting, end result comes out much better...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BLOODY OATH,dodgee it definitely is!:D

Back