Bilstein shocks for 2014 Explorer sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bilstein shocks for 2014 Explorer sport

geezerglide

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I tried searching under suspension and Bilstein in the Search function nothing showed up.

Am noticing when I push my Sport around curvy roads, it doesn't hold the road as I thought it would/should it sort of wallows and doesn't want to track around the corners.

On my Ford Harley F-150 I put on a set of Bilsteins for the Ford Lightning F-150 and they hold the road at speed way better than the Stock Shock set up.

Has anyone upgraded their suspension either using aftermarket shocks and sway bars etc.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bilstein Shocks

Peter, Thanks for getting back to me. I did not know there was a curve control.

I noticed you had/have a Lincoln MKT, I also had a 2010 Lincoln MKT and it handled high speed curves and corners way better than the 2014 Explorer Sport which surprised me as I thought the Sport Suspension was supposed to better.

Driving through the mountains here in Alberta, UTAH and Montana with the MKT was a lot a lot more stable and I could take them at higher speed and it would not sway and wobble. The same in my 2003 F-150 Harley Truck even before I installed the Four Bilstein Shock, the MKT had the OEM shocks and when I traded it in it had 86,000 KMS.

Is it because the MKY sits lower? I wonder what the factory shock were on the MKT?

geezerglide (Leo)

I bet your prior car didn't have the same tires as your Sport. The best place to start improving your road handling is with the tires. Changing the spring rates via coil over shocks or new springs is the next most logical step. Shocks just keep the tire on the road while springs and sway bars resist the rolling/dips. I cannot find a mono tube coil over to fit our Sport. Megan is developing one but no details yet. The adjustable coil overs allow you to lower the suspension up to about 2.5 inches so you can dial in the exact handling you want. Meantime, check out some better tires.

My 02 F150 Harley handles better than our 2013 Sport. I also have a good set of Staggered Nittos and a 2 inch drop on my F-150 Harley. I just had some Falkin STZ-05's in the 275/45/20 size put on the Sport today. The Sport is my wifes ride, but I'll see if it handles any better next time I take it out.

Bilstein

The tire on the 2010 MKT were whatever factory tires Ford put on them, I think Contis and they had apprx. 45 KMS as I had dedicated Snow Tires for the winter months, and I think they were Blizzaks.

I don't think the Contis were better or worse that the OEM HANCOOKs on the 2003 F-150 HD Truck I was running the 275/45/20s and it handled great that of course was with the Bilstiens front and back TOYO.

geezerglide

Back